Chief Business Officer
Voyager Therapeutics (Nasdaq: VYGR) is a biotechnology company dedicated to breaking through barriers in gene therapy and neurology. The potential of both disciplines has been constrained by delivery challenges; Voyager is leveraging innovative expertise in capsid discovery and deep neuropharmacology capabilities to address these constraints. Voyager’s TRACER AAV capsid discovery platform has generated novel capsids with high target delivery and blood-brain barrier penetration at low doses, potentially addressing the narrow therapeutic window associated with conventional gene therapy delivery vectors. This platform is fueling alliances with Pfizer Inc., Novartis and Neurocrine Biosciences as well as multiple programs in Voyager’s own pipeline. Voyager’s pipeline includes preclinical programs in Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), each with validated targets and biomarkers to enable a path to rapid potential proof-of-biology. For more information, visit www.voyagertherapeutics.com.
Voyager Therapeutics is seeking an entrepreneurial leader to join our team as Chief Business Officer (CBO). Reporting to Voyager’s CEO, Al Sandrock, the CBO will be a key member of Voyager’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT) with a high degree of visibility and impact across the organization. The successful Executive will bring a proven track record of success in establishing the long-term business development strategy for organizations, driving the business in the identification and evaluation of new partnerships, the expansion and development of existing partnerships, and the negotiation and execution of partnership commitments. As a key member of the Voyager team, the CBO will be a key business driver and strategic thinker in our quest to further expand utilization of Voyager’s innovative platform with the goal of elevating the field of gene therapy to its highest potential. The individual in this role will be a strong contributor to the overall corporate strategy, collaborating with the CEO, Board of Directors, Chief Financial Officer, and other senior leaders across the organization.
- As a member of the senior leadership team, the individual will be expected to work as a cross-functional leader of the company, collaborating with and providing input across multiple areas of the business.
- Work closely with the CEO, CFO, and members of the senior management team on the development of corporate strategy and long-range planning based on current portfolio opportunities and risks, organizational capabilities; Create buy-in for the strategy across the Company and with the Board.
- Help formulate the vision, strategy, business plan and support requirements necessary to pursue major strategic deals and partnerships leveraging Voyager’s portfolio.
- Lead and execute business development initiatives including outreach to potential pharma partners and negotiation/execution of e.g., clinical co-development partnerships and in-licensing deals, including of advanced clinical-stage assets and then lead sourcing, diligence, and transaction execution associated with all efforts.
- Cultivate a strong and effective partnership with the CFO and Finance team to integrate corporate strategy and gaps with long-range planning.
- Work closely with the R&D team to evaluate the potential of early-stage compounds and to integrate a partnership or commercial perspective early in the research and development process.
- Ensure professional growth and development of member of the Corporate and Business team, as well as others as appropriate within the organization.
- Minimum 15 years’ industry experience with a demonstrated track record of business development and corporate strategy leadership.
- An advanced degree (MBA, MD, JD, or PhD) is strongly preferred.
- Previous Senior or Executive Leadership experience required with an enterprise leadership mindset a must.
- Strong people and team leadership experience required.
- Must have a demonstrated record of business development and corporate strategy leadership within the life sciences industry with specific experience in executing strategy and deals in neurology and genetic medicines. More specifically the ideal CBO candidate will have a strong track record of sell-side business development deals with pharmaceutical/biotech companies, as well as academic institutions.
- Ability to understand complex scientific ideas and effectively communicate their value proposition to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Successful track record of identifying, evaluating and successfully negotiating significant business transactions, including in-licensing deals and ideally also pharma co-development deals and partnerships.
- Experience in the neurology and gene therapy spaces highly desired
- Excellent presentation and communications skills—the ability to compellingly articulate, influence, and work successfully with varied audiences (colleagues, biotechnology and pharmaceutical partners, financial institutions, customers, and the Board of Directors).
Something looks off?