Scientist/Senior Scientist, Translational Research (Pharmacological Sciences)
Voyager Therapeutics (Nasdaq: VYGR) is a biotechnology company dedicated to breaking through barriers in gene therapy and neurology. The potential of both disciplines has been constrained by delivery challenges; Voyager is leveraging innovative expertise in capsid discovery and deep neuropharmacology capabilities to address these constraints. Voyager’s TRACER AAV capsid discovery platform has generated novel capsids with high target delivery and blood-brain barrier penetration at low doses, potentially addressing the narrow therapeutic window associated with conventional gene therapy delivery vectors. This platform is fueling alliances with Pfizer Inc., Novartis and Neurocrine Biosciences as well as multiple programs in Voyager’s own pipeline. Voyager’s pipeline includes preclinical programs in Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), each with validated targets and biomarkers to enable a path to rapid potential proof-of-biology. For more information, visit www.voyagertherapeutics.com
Voyager Therapeutics is growing and seeking an experienced and highly motivated Scientist/Senior Scientist to join our Pharmacological Sciences team who shares our passion for the promise of gene therapy. The successful candidate will work with our multidisciplinary team in Cambridge, Massachusetts. This is an ideal position for a candidate with a strong background and hands-on experience in preclinical studies, including non-human primate (NHP), who thrives in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and cross-disciplinary start-up biotech environment.
The candidate will contribute to the design and execution of various pharmacology and toxicology studies to support development of novel capsids and biotherapeutics such as AAV-based gene therapy. The Scientist will interact with cross-functional capsid discovery and research program teams to execute in vivo pharmacology, biodistribution, PK/PD, and toxicology studies using AAV-based gene therapy approaches. The candidate will also perform quality control and analyze study data and communicate study progress through presentations and written reports. This is a primarily on-site role with frequent travels to study sites.
- Contribute to experimental design, execution, and data analysis for preclinical studies that support Voyager’s capsid engineering platform and therapeutic programs.
- Serve as a study monitor to review study protocols and address requests/questions from external collaborators and CROs
- Coordinate with capsid discover team, therapeutic program leads, and operations to set up studies aligned with project requirements and timelines.
- Monitor study progress and coordinate study activities, such as shipping and receiving of test article and tissue samples
- Travel and monitor in-life studies at CRO sites and report site-visit results to Voyager teams
- Maintain and update key events in study log and database and timely communicate study status to program teams
- Review study report, perform data analysis, and present study results as needed
- An advanced scientific degree (DVM / PhD) degree in Pharmacology, Biology, or a relevant discipline, with a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience OR a Master’s degree with 5+ years of experience OR a Bachelor’s degree with 8+ years of experience
- Experience working with both small and large animals, including NHPs is required.
- Familiarity with in vivo techniques, preferably hands-on experience in dosing and blood/sample collections; willingness to learn new techniques as needed
- Competency with database, spreadsheet, and presentation applications (e.g., Excel, PowerPoint, Smartsheet, Data entry systems, or similar)
- Skilled in data analysis using statistical software such as GraphPad Prism, JMP, etc.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and ability to multi-task is required.
- Experience with pharmacology / toxicology study protocol generation, study design, and writing / editing study reports
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, highly organized with strong attention to details, and willingness to travel to CRO sites
Preferred qualifications / experience
- Management and / or execution of animal studies at a CRO environment is a plus
- Comprehension of relevant biostatistical principles for analysis of animal study data
- Familiarity with bioanalytical and molecular biological techniques
- Familiarity with clinical trials for biologics development
- Prior experience in neuroscience and knowledge of neuroanatomy