VP, Clinical Development and Medical Affairs (MD)
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
The Company:Our mission is to improve the health and quality of life for the millions of people affected by chronic respiratory diseases. We do this through the development of our first-in-class molecule, ensifentrine. Ensifentrine has the potential to provide relief for millions of patients suffering from a variety of respiratory conditions including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis (CF) and asthma. Our focus is driven by our desire to ensure that innovative and differentiated molecules can reach these patients.The experience of the Verona team, and its highly effective leadership allows us to challenge the status quo in drug development and commercialization. Verona provides a professional, diverse, and inclusive working environment where our employees thrive. We are driven to succeed by our desire to help those dealing with the chronic progressive nature of respiratory diseases. We offer you the opportunity to help create a new future for those people living with respiratory diseases. The Opportunity:Verona Pharma is currently recruiting a VP, Clinical Development and Medical Affairs (MD) to join our team in Raleigh, NC, reporting to our Chief Medical Officer. Remote working and flexibility are important parts of our culture at Verona. However, we are looking for candidates preferably based in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area as you will periodically be required to go into the Raleigh office for key meetings, training, and other activities as needed.In the role of VP, Clinical Development and Medical Affairs (MD), you will provide medical insight into the clinical development and medical affairs strategy, medical review, and training as needed to the organization. For the Clinical Development organization, you will provide input in study design and strategy as well as medical oversight of current and future clinical studies. Working within Medical Affairs, you will assist in the development of the medical strategy and governance, as well as aid in the execution of the strategy with excellence along with others in the medical affairs team in compliance with global regulations and quality standards. You will assist with commercial strategy by bringing medical insight to the commercial team to aid in the development of compelling medical evidence in support of optimal patient use and access to medicines.In this role, you will play an important role in representing Verona to external constituencies in the medical and scientific communities, global regulatory agencies, government, investors and partners.To be successful in this role, you must have experience in the development of medical strategies and clinical development across various products, within the respiratory disease area. Responsibilities:
- Medical support for clinical development activities for Verona along with SVP, R&D and/or CMO– to provide medical/scientific expertise on the strategy, execution, interpretation, safety and reporting of data.
- Assist Medical Affairs with the development of Verona’s medical strategies and project execution in conjunction with SVP Medical Affairs and/or CMO to support early access initiatives, investigator-initiated research, publications, and other medical communications.
- Build partnerships and relationships with the scientific and medical community. Represent Verona alone or along with the SVP, R&D, SVP, Medical Affairs and/or CMO externally in scientific presentations, conferences, and industry groups.
- Provide medical/scientific insight into the interpretation, publication/public disclosure, and accurate use of scientific data.
- Provide medical insight into the Global Medical Affairs strategy – to include aiding in development of communication of clinical information and acting as a medical spokesperson.
- Provide medical/scientific input into the planning, development, execution and reporting of all Phase IV postmarketing research.
- Help drive a high-performance culture by fostering innovation, collaboration, customer focus, personal accountability, and a commitment for results.
- Provide critical input into the identification of new product opportunities and strategic direction of Verona.
- Seek opportunities to introduce and expand Verona’s position and influence in the health care environment through appropriate targeted activities with key stakeholders and selective affiliations with key professional organizations.
- Assist in drafting, reviewing and interpreting data for safety reports, IBs, NDA submissions and responses to questions from regulatory agencies.
- MD required (board certified in pulmonary diseases strongly preferred) with expertise in Pulmonary medicine; additional advanced degree (MBA, MHA, Pharmacoeconomics, or MPH) would be welcomed.
- A medical leader, with a hands-on, high-energy style and a strong personal work ethic.
- A confident, mature and humble professional; decisive and detail-oriented, and a predisposition to roll-up-the-sleeves and engage in a hands-on manner; comfortable working in a resource-constrained environment.
- At least 10 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, and a minimum of 5 years working in drug development/Medical Affairs.
- Must possess exceptional written and oral communication and influencing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to speak in public forums of varying size and audiences.
- Proven ability to successfully network with subject matter experts.
- Excellent clinical judgment, strong organizational abilities, high credibility and significant leadership potential.
- Ability to be decisive, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Values accountability (in self and in others) in order to achieve goals and live up to commitments.