Sr. Engineer, Upstream Development for Protein Development and Manufacturing
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2024
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum, carrier-sparing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-31, a 31-valent PCV candidate; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease; and VAX-GI, a vaccine program designed to prevent Shigella. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 180 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following equity offerings in October 2022 and April 2023, which generated over $1.1 billion in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. These financings followed positive data readouts from Vaxcyte’s Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64 and Phase 2 study in adults 65 and older. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-31, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
Vaxcyte is looking for an energetic and talented individual to join Vaxcyte’s Product Development organization as a Sr Engineer of Upstream Development within the Protein Development and Manufacturing group. This is an exciting opportunity to join an outstanding team with a mission to establish a new bacterial fermentation development lab and pilot plant at Vaxcyte. The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualities:
· A skilled upstream engineer with expertise in developing and scaling up bacterial primary recovery processes for protein production.
· A strong technical leader experienced in providing mentoring and training of junior staff members.
· An exceptional team player who works seamlessly with others, speaks up, and remains focused on achieving the best results to attain company goals.
· The ability to analyze data and communicate conclusions, decisions and recommendations concisely to key stakeholders.
· A strong sense of ownership and accountability; commitment to Vaxcyte’s mission of protecting humankind.
- Act as the engineering lead to support all USP development activities.
- Lead the design, equipment procurement, and start-up of pilot scale fermentation and primary recovery laboratories.
- Lead the development of the upstream primary processes for reagents to enable cell free protein synthesis.
- In coordination with CDMO, implement scale-up/down models to support technology transfer and manufacturing activities.
- Manage junior staff members and collaborate effectively within Protein Development and Manufacturing group and the global Vaxcyte CMC organization.
- Represent upstream development at CMC meetings and with external partners.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering with 5+ years of relevant Pharma/Biotech industry experience, or MS in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry/ Biochemistry with 8+ years of relevant Pharma/Biotech industry experience.
- Strong scientific background and hands-on experience with fermentation and primary recovery processes.
- Familiarity with aerobic fermentation scale-up a plus.
- Hands-on experience in primary recovery unit operations such as homogenization, continuous centrifugation, and depth filtration a must.
- Experience with cell-free upstream technology a plus but not required.
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DoE) methodology.
- Proven technical leadership skills including strong project and people management skills.
- Clear and compelling (written and oral) communication skills.
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Familiarity with cGMP requirements.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Reports to: Director, Upstream Development and Manufacturing
Location: San Carlos, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary Range: $145,000 – $163,000
Send resumes to:
825 Industrial Road, Suite 300
San Carlos, CA 94070
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.