San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2023
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum, carrier-sparing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-31, a 31-valent PCV candidate; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease; and VAX-GI, a vaccine program designed to prevent Shigella. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 180 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following equity offerings in October 2022 and April 2023, which generated over $1.1 billion in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. These financings followed positive data readouts from Vaxcyte’s Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64 and Phase 2 study in adults 65 and older. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-31, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
We are currently seeking a junior level Patent Agent who would be reporting to the Director, Intellectual Property. The ideal candidate could come from a pharmaceutical company or law firm. Preference will be provided to candidates who would be working on-site (hybrid model) but will consider remote candidates with at least quarterly travel to the San Carlos, CA headquarters.
- Patent application drafting and prosecution in the U.S. and foreign jurisdictions.
- Provide support in determining inventorship, aiding with obtaining and maintaining patent-related documents.
- Identify a range of complex risks (e.g., patentability, infringement) and communicate those risks to internal stakeholders for discussion and resolution.
- Analyse patents, scientific journal papers, and documents
- Participate in IP diligence and provide other IP support for business development opportunities.
- Maintain the patent and trademark dockets.
- Assist with trademark-related matters working with outside counsel.
- Provide assistance on special projects from time to time.
- Opportunity to work with other attorneys in the department and outside of IP area.
- USPTO Registration.
- Advanced degree in microbiology, biochemistry, immunology, or other pharmaceutical field preferred with 3+ years of pharmaceutical patent preparation and prosecution experience.
- Must have a firm grasp of molecular biology concepts.
- In-depth technical knowledge of bacterial manufacture of proteins and/or polysaccharides is a plus.
- Technical knowledge of chemical conjugation of biologics is a plus.
- Technical knowledge of vaccine discovery and development is a plus.
- Demonstrated problem-solving abilities and strong organizational skills.
- Must be self-motivating, prioritize and manage work, and show attention to detail.
- Passion to learn, high integrity, and strong work ethic.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a reputation for collaboration with colleagues
- Outstanding written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office 365 (outlook mail, word processing, Excel, Zoom meetings).
- Excellent communication skills and comfort level interacting with internal and external teams.
- Be an outstanding teammate and know when to ask for help.
- Models our Core Values: is experienced as someone who exemplifies the culture we want to create; operates with transparency; is trusted.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Reports to: Director, Intellectual Property Counsel
Location: San Carlos, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary Range: $148,000 – $161,000
Send resumes to:
825 Industrial Road, Suite 300
San Carlos, CA 94070
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.