Vice President, Financial Planning and Analysis
Accounting & Finance
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum, carrier-sparing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-31, a 31-valent PCV candidate; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease; and VAX-GI, a vaccine program designed to prevent Shigella. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 180 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following equity offerings in October 2022 and April 2023, which generated over $1.1 billion in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. These financings followed positive data readouts from Vaxcyte’s Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64 and Phase 2 study in adults 65 and older. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-31, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
Vaxcyte is seeking a highly skilled and self-motivated individual to join our growing Finance Team. The Vice President of FP&A will lead the FP&A function and be responsible for leading financial analysis and decision support on strategic and business initiatives and drive operational excellence of the function. The ideal candidate is one who has a strategic mindset, understands the business and our priorities. This individual is skilled at financial analysis, modeling and executive presentations in the life sciences/biotech industry and brings significant experience in managing the day-to-day operations of an FP&A team. He/she operates with vigor and determination and has demonstrated the ability to deliver results in a high-growth, fast-paced and team-oriented environment. This role will initially manage a team of three to four team members, with more to be added as the company continues to grow and build toward later-stage development, commercial manufacturing, and commercialization of our products.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner to functional heads and the leadership team.
- Lead the FP&A function, including the processes to deliver an annual long-range financial plan and full-year budget, monthly forecast and variance and analysis.
- Lead the development and maintenance of the consolidated corporate financial model and projections.
- Develop and maintain corporate dashboard to track performance toward key corporate, program and other objectives.
- Provide decision-making support and perform financial modeling and scenario analysis for various initiatives, including the long-range plan, portfolio and program alternatives, and corporate and business development opportunities, including for highly complex, multi-program development and manufacturing options.
- Prepare and present to executive team and functional and program leaders financial and scenario analyses to support decision making.
- Serve as an unbiased and neutral arbiter of assumptions and analyses with executive leadership; conduct independent research and pull from industry experience to identify and challenge/support key assumptions and conclusions.
- Provide independent objective recommendations on investment decisions and clearly articulate risks and trade-offs with recommendations.
- Develop key metrics to measure the progress of initiatives and provide insights to continually drive value from the initiatives.
- Proactively recommend and implement process improvements to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of our reporting and analysis to key stakeholders.
- Partner with other finance functions on the consolidated monthly and quarterly close and reporting process.
- Support key growth initiatives, special projects, development and buildout of finance operations and systems to support the growth and scaling of the company as needed.
- A BS or BA is required, and an MBA is strongly preferred, along with work experience of 14+ years, and at least 10 years specializing in the biotech/pharma or life sciences industry (ideally R&D and manufacturing. Experience in leading FP&A teams.
- Proven experience in conducting financial analysis to support key strategic and business decisions.
- Extensive modeling experience, including the buildout of ROI and NPV models among other metrics, to support decision making and scenario analysis.
- Exceptional PPT and visual data presentation experience.
- In-depth knowledge of US Healthcare Systems, Business Intelligence, Planning and ERP systems.
- Experience in high-growth, multi-national organization a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: Ability to communicate and present information effectively to senior management and other stakeholders (written, orally and via presentation materials), an inquisitive mind, and the ability to work effectively with multiple functions; strong executive presence and the ability to influence decision making.
- Results Orientation: The ideal candidate will be a results-driven team player and must thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. He/she must have the ability to drive results and possess a strong drive to meet and exceed goals and is willing to take ownership of problems and make or recommend sound decisions.
- Change Leadership: The candidate will be an independent self-starter and a proactive leader with a drive to achieve goals and solve problems, sometimes without similar precedents.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Finance
Location: San Carlos, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary Range: $310,00 – $340,000
Send resumes to:
825 Industrial Road, Suite 300
San Carlos, CA 94070
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.