Sr. Data Systems Engineer
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum, carrier-sparing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-31, a 31-valent PCV candidate; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease; and VAX-GI, a vaccine program designed to prevent Shigella. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 180 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following equity offerings in October 2022 and April 2023, which generated over $1.1 billion in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. These financings followed positive data readouts from Vaxcyte’s Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64 and Phase 2 study in adults 65 and older. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-31, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
We are seeking an experienced and detail-oriented Data Systems Engineer with knowledge of System administration and DevOps with on premise and cloud-based platforms to join our IT team. In this role you will implement and administer Windows Domain and Active Directory, compute, storage, database, networking and security implementation and management. Strong knowledge in domain controllers, group policies, Active Directory, cloud services, databases, and web app deployment are essential for this position.
- Provision, configure, and maintain cloud and VMWare resources, including virtual machines, databases, storage, WebApps and networking components.
- Monitor and optimize cloud infrastructure for performance, cost, and security.
- Implement and maintain backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- Ensure cloud resources are compliant with security policies and best practices.
- Administer and maintain Windows-based servers and systems.
- Configure and manage domain controllers and Active Directory services.
- Implement and manage group policies to ensure security and compliance.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to Windows infrastructure.
- Implement security updates and patches for Windows environments.
- Possess knowledge in configuring, administering, and optimizing relational databases hosted on cloud.
- Understand the principles of database availability, security, and performance.
- Collaborate with development teams to support database-related tasks.
Web Application Deployment in Azure:
- Deploy web applications on cloud.
- Configure and manage web app settings, scaling, and monitoring.
- Ensure high availability and performance of web applications.
DevOps Integration (Basic):
- Collaborate with development teams to support basic CI/CD pipelines on cloud platforms.
- Assist in automation and scripting tasks to streamline administration processes.
- Provide basic support for containerization technologies like Docker and Kubernetes.
Documentation and Training:
- Maintain detailed documentation of infrastructure, systems, databases, Python web applications, and administration processes.
- Provide training and support to internal teams regarding system administration, database management, and web app deployment.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field (or equivalent workexperience).
- 8 -12 years of experience in Systems Administration.
- Proven experience as a Windows Administrator with knowledge in domain controllers, group policies, Active Directory.
- Strong understanding of Azure services, networking, and security.
- Expertise in Windows Server administration and troubleshooting.
- Experience administering on premise VMWare infrastructure.
- Proficiency in scripting and automation using PowerShell and/or other relevant tools.
- Knowledge in PostgreSQL administration, including database setup, optimization, and maintenance.
- Experience in deploying Python web applications in Azure.
- Familiarity with DevOps practices, including CI/CD concepts and automation.
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong communication and collaboration abilities.
- Azure certifications (e.g., Azure Administrator, Azure Solutions Architect) and relevant Python web app deployment experience are highly desired.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Reports to: Senior Director, CMC IT Systems
Location: San Carlos, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary Range: $171,000 – $185,000
Send resumes to:
825 Industrial Road, Suite 300
San Carlos, CA 94070
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.