Executive Director, Manufacturing Finance
Accounting & Finance
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2023
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum, carrier-sparing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-31, a 31-valent PCV candidate; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease; and VAX-GI, a vaccine program designed to prevent Shigella. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 180 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following equity offerings in October 2022 and April 2023, which generated over $1.1 billion in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. These financings followed positive data readouts from Vaxcyte’s Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64 and Phase 2 study in adults 65 and older. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-31, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
The Executive Director of Manufacturing Finance will be responsible for the ownership and leadership over all elements of our manufacturing and reporting processes through the impending years of growth and scaling of our operations. Our manufacturing processes are critical to our business and require substantial focus and demonstrated expertise. The ideal candidate is one who has strong partnership and an operational mindset that is driven to help the organization solve problems and enable growth and scaling of the organization. The candidate must have experience in various elements of the operations process of a large-scale manufacturing/distribution organization with high volume and complexity and multiple contract development and manufacturing organizations (CDMOs) and suppliers. The position will initially have one direct report with additional resources as needed to support the function and the growth of the Company.
- This position supports all areas related to the Manufacturing Finance function, including but not limited to, leadership over the financial close activities, internal assessment of systems and processes to support the growth and scale of the company, management with significant 3rd party stakeholders, suppliers and CDMOs, and collaboration with internal stakeholders including Commercial Manufacturing and Supply Chain, Development and Program Management.
- Responsible for the creation of analysis and reporting workflows and dashboards, designing data hierarchy required in our financial systems, margins and variance analysis and related operating metrics, sometimes without similar precedents.
- Manage cost accounting activities such establishing overhead and cost allocation methodology, setting of standard costs, variance analytics and transaction support.
- Partner closely with FP&A and other internal stakeholders in planning and preparation of periodic forecasting and budgeting exercises that require item costing and other forward-looking assumptions and insight into the operational plans.
- Orchestrate and schedule processes and templates, provide training and guidance for key stakeholders and consolidate results for executive management.
- Work with management and independent auditors to ensure compliance with related control, audit, and reporting requirements.
- Responsible for inventory valuation, including establishing and maintaining standard costs and the development and monitoring of valuation and loss prevention controls and adjustment of related reserves.
- Prepare, analyze and interpret cost accounting and financial data to measure the financial condition and efficiency of operations.
- Work on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation, scenario analysis and strategic decision making, sometimes without similar precedents.
- Exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Act independently to determine methods and procedures on new or special assignments.
- Minimum of 12+ years of related experience and a B.A. degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, cost accounting, internal controls/SOX and financial reporting.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience in the US Healthcare System and Life Sciences industry, serialization rules and requirements, Business Intelligence, Planning and ERP systems.
- Experience in leading and scaling teams, systems and processes for complex, manufacturing-intensive organizations in the biotech or pharmaceutical sector through late-stage development and commercial launch.
- Demonstrated partnership and collaboration with various internal departments including Commercial Manufacturing and Supply Chain, Development and Program Management, and external stakeholders including 3rd party CMOs, suppliers and strategic partners, is required.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be accurate, detailed and committed to high quality standards and proactive in finding solutions to achieve successful outcomes that are a win-win for the Company and key internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly capable of following organizational plans, goal setting, resource management, contingency planning, coordinating and collaborating with others.
- Effectively communicates and presents information to senior management and other stakeholders (written, orally and via presentation materials), possesses an inquisitive mind, and works effectively with multiple functions; brings strong executive presence and the ability to influence decision making.
- The ideal candidate will be a results-driven team player and must thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. He/She must have the ability to drive results, possesses a strong drive to meet and exceed goals and is willing to take ownership of problems and make or recommend sound decisions.
- The candidate will be an independent self-starter and a proactive leader.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Finance
Location: San Carlos, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary Range: $275,000 – $297,000
Send resumes to:
825 Industrial Road, Suite 300
San Carlos, CA 94070
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.