Associate Engineer Bioinformatics, Biopharma Libraries
Programmable DNA, the software of Life, is finally here! Twist Bioscience is developing a disruptive Synthetic DNA technology that will change the world, enabling widespread health and sustainability. Synthetic biologists use our products to engineer how organisms produce cures to diseases; everyday chemicals are made using the atmosphere as the carbon source; plants make their own fertilizers; in-vivo diagnostics will alert us when we are sick, and many more applications.
- Implement and maintain robust code to automate lab workflows.
- Design and implement simple web GUI interfaces for internal applications.
- Set-up, securely deploy and run scalable internal applications on cloud infrastructure.
- Collaborate with scientists, data scientists, and engineers to create applications for data processing and validation; statistical and machine-learning predictions; order design.
- Collect internal/external data, via notebooks and APIs, into queryable SQL databases.
- Apply software engineering best practices to scale NGS, sequence annotation, and other pipelines from research to production; create unit tests, Docker containers, etc.
- Troubleshoot complex issues quickly and effectively; supplement computational support across a range of operational requests involving visualization, workflows, datasets.
- Install, run, and incorporate open-source packages to support technology development at scale.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or related scientific/engineering field
- 0 - 1 years professional software development experience
- Fluency with software development best practices such as distributed version control, automated testing, and CI/CD.
- Back-end technology: Familiar with backend-end technologies and build REST APIs using python and popular backend frameworks like Django, Django-restframework,
- Database technology: Familiar with PostgreSQL database and PGAdmin
- Familiarity with code versioning tools and concepts like git, Github, trunk-based development
- Familiar with CI/CD tools like Drone and Kubernetes
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with on-site and off-site teams using Slack, JIRA, and Confluence
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Docker, Kubernetes, and Drone
- Experience with common DNA or protein sequence data analysis tools (e.g. bwa, samtools, etc.) and file formats (FASTA, FASTQ, BAM, VCF, BED)
- Familiarity with at least one of: antibody or protein development, NGS, Sanger sequencing
- Understanding of IaaS, SaaS: e.g. AWS S3, EC2, Databricks, Snowflake, Seven Bridges
- Experience with Python packaging or Docker; packages with tests
- A passion for biotech, applications of synthetic biology in healthcare
- Hybrid South SF / Bay Area
- Local candidates preferred, but not required
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.