Sr. Scientist, Clinical Serology Non Clinical Immunoassay
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-XP, a PCV with an expanded breadth of coverage of greater than 30 strains; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; and VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 150 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following the October 2022 follow-on equity offering, which generated approximately $651 million in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. On October 24, 2022, the Company announced positive topline safety, tolerability and immunogenicity data from the Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-XP, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
Vaxcyte is looking for an energetic and talented Sr Scientist to manufacture and test all components of multi-valent vaccines. In particular, the Drug Substances (DS) and Drug Product (DP) use an MSD (Meso Scale Discovery) based concentration assay, and of which values are used to compound the multi-valent DP. Extreme control of this assay is required to maintain DS shelf life and more importantly, ensuring DP compounding is successful in relation to the final dose of each DS in the clinic. In addition, development of functional assays in support of early-stage vaccine candidates, will be a focus for the immunoassay group. Vaxcyte is looking for a Senior Analytical Scientist who can lead this method development internally and liaise with our external CMO to transfer, troubleshoot and continue to improve the assays.
- The Sr Scientist will manage the team and lead the manufacture and test all components of multi-valent vaccines
- The Senior Scientist will development and optimize assay suites for our current 3 programs, and for the following research projects.
- Develop methods for MSD (Meso Scale Discovery) based concentration assay, and of which values are used to compound the multi-valent DP
- Development of functional assays in support of early-stage vaccine candidates to be tested in house and at CMO
- Lead this method development internally and liaise with our external CMO to transfer, troubleshoot and continue to improve the assays
- Manage and develop a team of Associate Scientists
- Present data to immediate team and larger functional groups
- Independently propose and design follow-up experiments are also required
- MSc/PhD in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry preferred, Organic / Biochemistry
- considered, with >5 year of relevant experience.
- Ideal candidate will have a significant background in immunoassay and analytical
- chemistry principles, with an expertise in ELISA and/or MSD based platforms.
- Having a high degree of organizational capabilities for both data and experimental scheduling.
- Experience in immunoassay development, qualification, validation, trouble shooting and aiding in OOS investigations is required.
- Prior experience of transferring these methods to external partners for validation activities will be of a significant benefit, and first-hand experience of a QC environment would also be advantageous.
- Managerial experience ranging from Associate Sci I and above
- The ability to present complex data sets and independently propose and design follow-up experiments are also required.
- Maintaining good laboratory practices, safety and record keeping for them-selves and their team is required
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary range: $145,000-$159,000
Reports to: Group Leader, Clinical Serology Non Clinical Immunoassay
Location: San Carlos
See more open positions at SutroVax
Something looks off?