Staff Electrical Engineer
We are seeking a Staff or Senior Staff Electrical Engineer with excellent engineering design and data analysis skills to develop and implement key technologies and subsystem concepts for our flagship multi-omic platform. You will work collaboratively with engineers of various disciplines and participate in all aspects of electrical hardware development, from requirements definition through design, prototyping, fabrication, testing, and production. You will also collaborate with our cross-functional teammates to specify, design, document, procure, and test our instrument’s PCBA’s, cables, sensors, actuators, and test stands, as well as establish power budgets and computational capabilities. At a Staff or Senior Staff level, you will be expected to establish best practices, collaborate with executive management, and mentor junior engineers.
In this role you will:
- Propose and investigate new electrical architectures to enable our product goals
- Develop, own, and specify PCBA requirements in collaboration with other engineering disciplines (mechanical, FW, SW, optical, fluidic, thermal, UX, etc.)
- Own and design custom PCBA’s using Altium via schematic capture, component selection for performance and reliability, PCBA layout, procurement, and test
- Own and design OTS/custom cables for every interconnection in our platform. Verify that cables (and connectors) meet requirements of all interfaces
- Own electrical designs from cradle to grave following development plan phase gates, including leading electrical design reviews and technical presentations
- Collaborate with other team members to develop and integrate custom electronic assemblies and cables optimized as a result of qualification requirements, means to improve manufacturability, FRU sizing, or DFMA inputs
- Assist with hardware development and run basic firmware QC on your designs using your understanding of basic programming or use of low-level scripting languages
- Support test stand, prototype, and production builds as necessary
- Analyze designs using computer-based tools and hand calculations for circuit analysis, including best practices for EMC/EMI prevention
- Generate detailed specifications, schematics, board layouts, drawings, work instructions, and other engineering documentation
- Regularly document development progress through industry tools like Confluence and Jira.
- Develop procedures and work collaboratively with manufacturing and supply chain
- Contribute to company scaling needs like PDP, development frameworks, and establishing best practices
- Balance function, manufacturability, and cost to achieve the best reliability for our platform
- Perform troubleshooting, root cause analysis, or lead 8D investigations for interdisciplinary problems
- Contribute to program deliverables like schedules, risk analysis, and planning
To be successful in this role, you have:
- A demonstrated track record of design in bringing electrical and electromechanical systems to market
- Broad knowledge of electrical techniques and knowledge of regulatory requirements, in particular, ISO61010 and ISO13485
- Strong design for manufacturing (DFM) and testing/QC capabilities to support the development of our instrument and support test stands
- Hands on experience with lab test equipment (power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, soldering iron, etc.) to debug/rework hardware and signal analysis issues
- Design proficiency with processors, switch mode power supplies, high speed data interfaces, precision analog instrumentation
- Proficiency with Altium Designer for schematic capture and layout of complex PCBs, including setting up libraries and cable design.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of; Signal, Power, and Grounding Integrity, low voltage power regulation and delivery and circuit analysis including power, tolerance, and reliability related investigations
- Experience with designs using MIPI CSI-2
- Experience with UARTs, SPI, RS-422, RS-485, USB
- An ability to distill complex technical information into a clear message and quickly adjust to rapidly evolving technology and priorities
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of experience in electrical hardware design including schematic capture, PCB layout, and testing
Highly preferred experience includes:
- Designs using PCIe
- Motherboard design
- Programming of FPGA’s is a plus
- Biotechnology capital equipment or consumables
- Development cycles from concept to production for at least two products
Note: This position is based Onsite in San Diego and will require regular onsite participation at our office/lab in San Diego, CA - to apply you should be resident in the greater San Diego county area or in the process of relocating.
Pleno is a multidisciplinary team of scientists and technologists focused on collaboration and asking questions. We strive to find the best, and most meaningful answers for biochemistry and engineering problems in our mission to build a revolutionary instrument platform.
We are developing multi-omic instrument platforms that will revolutionize biological target detection for a wide array of meaningful applications. Come join us to be a part of the biomedical revolution.
We value our Pleno people and each person's wellbeing is important to us, so in addition to offering industry competitive compensation, we also offer the following:
- Equity - everyone at Pleno has a stake in our success
- Generous company-sponsored contribution to health, dental and vision coverage
- Company contributions to life insurance, short term and long term disability
- Flexible Paid Time Off - plus 11 paid holidays including a winter break company-wide close
- Parental Leave - we value our families and include generous parental leave and wage replacement for birthing parents
- Free catered onsite meals daily
- Fitness and wellness facilities and programming
- Regular opportunities to spend social time together like happy hours & team building events - we stop to celebrate our wins
- Available 401k plan
We are hiring for positions onsite at our office/lab in San Diego, CA – all positions are full time employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form.
Compensation decisions are dependent on several factors including, but not limited to, level of the position, skills, knowledge and experience, internal equity, and alignment with comparable market data.