Senior Product Engineer
Healthcare needs good data. For patients, that means taking ownership of their records and understanding what is in them. For researchers, it means transforming piles of messy medical records into structured, research ready datasets. At PicnicHealth, we build technology that makes both of these possible. We do this by working directly with patients and leveraging state of the art machine learning to retrieve and process medical data in any form that it exists. To date we’ve helped tens of thousands of patients securely access their records and proactively contribute to advancing research in diseases that impact their lives across a large spectrum of observational studies and drug and disease registries.
Founded in 2014, PicnicHealth partners with 12 of the top 20 biopharma companies and has raised over $100 million in venture capital from investors including Amplify Partners, Felicis Ventures, and B Capital Group.
And we are just getting started! If you are looking to join an award winning, mission-driven, motivated team that is making a real impact across millions of people’s lives, PicnicHealth might just be the place for you.
PicnicHealth requests and processes tens of thousands of pages of medical records each week to build a timeline of each patient’s healthcare journey. For those willing to contribute their data to research, we then assemble some of the richest real-world evidence datasets available. This process is made possible by systems and applications that we develop in our Data Production squad. Central to Data Production is the HIPE application (Human-in-the-Loop Processing Engine), which uses sophisticated machine learning and carefully-designed UI/UX to help experts quickly and accurately extract data from medical records as we receive them. Data Production also includes the tooling and processes used to bundle together and deliver data for research. We’re looking for an experienced Product Engineer to drive impact on this team through implementing
Most engineers at Picnic are product engineers. On the Data Production squad, you’d own features end-to-end, from planning out and structuring data models to designing and building front-end interfaces. You’ll need to be able to think independently and operate with a high degree of autonomy, taking problems with many unknowns and finding the best solution. You naturally orient yourself to user and business impact. We have challenges ranging from creating new ways to visualize medical information, to implementing data pipelines that support large language models, to improving application performance. You’ll need to be able to fearlessly tackle any challenge that gets thrown at you.
As a Senior Product Engineer you will:
- Drive impact for the organization by rallying partners to solve difficult and sometimes ambiguous problems. You’ll partner on translating the company’s strategic and high impact initiatives into an iterative roadmap of work and execute with the engineering team on its delivery.
- Work at all levels of the stack — frontend (React, Apollo), backend and web services (Node, Python, GraphQL), infrastructure (GCP, Kubernetes), and data (PostgreSQL, Redis)
- Ship code to production frequently, often daily
- Architect efficient and reusable systems. Propose best practices and major system upgrades.
- Mentor engineers by providing technical guidance and contributing to building a world class engineering culture.
You are a great fit if you:
- Have experience shipping code for 5+ years
- A B.S. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Have a strong foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, software and system design
- Experience driving multi quarter and multi team initiatives or projects forward
- Are successful at communicating with cross functional stakeholders and can communicate complicated technical concepts to a wide audience. You’re comfortable putting pen to paper to share ideas.
- Are able to code on the client and the server for web platforms. You’re comfortable writing and optimizing SQL queries.
- Have experience deploying and maintaining production applications in the cloud (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- You are excited by machine learning and its implications for user interfaces
We expect all team members to be motivated to be amazing in their roles and, ultimately, to move the PicnicHealth mission forward.
Perks & Benefits @PicnicHealth
At PicnicHealth you get to solve real problems with real solutions, great tech, and great people. We look to attract and retain exceptional performers through a mission that matters, a culture that allows team members to do their best work and be their real selves, and through competitive compensation and benefits packages aligned to the market and our Core Values.
We’re a remote first company, with teammates spread across the US. We support in-person gatherings, including co-working spaces and multi-day onsites, to build connections and move forward strategic initiatives. Expect to travel 2-4 times a year. For our team members in the Bay Area, who prefer to work in person we can offer a hybrid set up to work from the SF office on a flexible schedule.
Target Base Salary Range: $180k-220k
The base salary PicnicHealth offers may vary depending upon the ultimate scope and responsibilities of the position and on the candidate’s job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total package will include equity, in addition to a full range of medical and/or other benefits, depending on the position offered. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
You also get:
- Comprehensive benefits including above market Health, Dental, Vision
- Family friendly environment
- Flexible time off
- 401k plan
- Free PicnicHealth account
- Equipment and internet funds for home office set up
- Wellness Stipend
Equal Opportunity Statement
PicnicHealth is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value a diverse and balanced team where everyone can belong.