Technician in Gene and Cell Therapy, Translational Research
Location: London, UK
Reporting to: Director and Senior Scientist in Translational Research
Orchard Therapeutics is a pioneering company in the field of cell and gene therapy with an immediate opportunity for a bright individual with experience in working with viral vectors for gene delivery to join Orchard’s Translational Research Department. The role is based in the heart of London in our Hammersmith Research facility based within our global headquarters.
As an integral part of the Translational Research Team, the Technician in Gene and Cell Therapy Research will work across all Orchard’s pre-clinical research programs to specifically undertake the laboratories production of Lentiviral Vectors. This role will include molecular cloning methods for construction of novel vectors, and the production and characterisation of lentiviral vector stocks using several methods. The role will require you to work closely with all the Translational Research Team to plan and conduct routine lentiviral production runs, and ensure laboratory documentation and reports are maintained to the highest standards. These experimental duties related to the development of novel gene therapies can then be taken for forward into Orchard’s Pre-clinical Research programs, ultimately for implementation into Orchard’s evolving therapeutic portfolio. Candidates should be highly motivated and organized, with an explorative and proactive attitude, and an ability to multitask as part of a team committed to expanding Orchard’s Therapeutic Research Programs.
Key Elements and Responsibilities
- Conduct microbiology workflows for preparation of plasmids stocks and libraries.
- Perform routine cloning to generate plasmid and lentiviral vector constructs.
- Conduct cell culture and transfection workflows for the production of lentiviral vectors.
- Determine titer and conduct quality control of viral particles using flow cytometry and droplet digital PCR methods.
- Test and optimize protocols for production and quality control of viral particles.
- Organize and track samples during production and storage.
- Support lab operations, including inventory management, solution preparation, and standard lab tasks, including routine mycoplasma testing.
- Contribute towards the preparation, review and completion of study reports and protocol SOPs.
- Contribute to the overall activities of the research team and department as required, including laboratory duties, attendance and participation in group and department meetings.
- Training in a biological or scientific discipline is essential.
- Candidates must have experience in cellular and molecular biology.
- Experience of working with Lentiviral vectors is highly preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Experience in routine tissue culture maintenance and standard molecular biology methods including cloning and PCR is essential.
- Good working experience in techniques such as flow cytometry is preferred.
- Good organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Keen attention to detail, with a good analytical ability to interpret data sets
- Ability to analyse and write up data, and to keep accurate records
- IT skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and experience of working with an ELN would be preferred.
- Candidates should also be highly motivated and responsible individuals who want to be a part of Orchard’s mission.
Candidate must possess:
- BSc or MSC with focus on a relevant biological discipline, including molecular biology/ biotechnology.
- At least 1 year of experience of laboratory work in cell biology and molecular biology is essential.
Orchard Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.