Director, Financial Planning & Analysis EMEA
Location: London, UK
Reporting to: Vice President, Finance
Orchard Therapeutics is a global gene therapy leader dedicated to transforming the lives of people affected by rare diseases through the development of innovative, potentially curative gene therapies. Our ex vivo autologous gene therapy approach harnesses the power of genetically modified blood stem cells and seeks to correct the underlying cause of disease in a single administration. In 2018, Orchard acquired GSK’s rare disease gene therapy portfolio, which originated from a pioneering collaboration between GSK and the San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy in Milan, Italy. Orchard now has one of the deepest and most advanced gene therapy product candidate pipelines in the industry spanning multiple therapeutic areas where the disease burden on children, families and caregivers is immense and current treatment options are limited or do not exist.
Orchard is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: ORTX) with offices in London and Boston.
The Director, EMEA Finance will be a key finance leader for Orchard Therapeutics London site supporting both the R&D organization and commercial operations.
The successful candidate will have an extensive Finance background and experience supporting an R&D and/or Commercial organization. They will partner with R&D and regional commercial leadership to draw out business insight to drive sound decision-making while maintaining a robust internal controls environment and helping the organization prepare for rapid business growth.
The ideal candidate should have:
A passion for working in a purpose-driven and patient-centric organization. A positive, “can-do” attitude along with a strong work ethic and adaptability to effectively operate in an entrepreneurial, dynamic and rapid growth environment. The candidate should be comfortable liaising with all levels of management and collaborating effectively with a diverse set of functional experts.
The candidate will be comfortable setting the appropriate tone for internal controls and establishing a leadership presence for the Finance function in London. The candidate must be able to manage the expectations of many different departments and levels, must have a strong eye for detail and be prepared to go the extra mile when called upon.
This role is based in the London offices of Orchard Therapeutics. Minimal travel to Boston and future offices across Europe may be required.
Key elements and responsibilities
Working with the R&D and Commercial Leadership Teams, develop the annual operating plan, quarterly forecast and the long-range plan
- Support critical accounting processes and assist in the monthly and quarterly close
- Deliver monthly financial reporting and associated business insight to drive sound financial and strategic decision-making
- Interact/collaborate with various business partners and stakeholders to ensure appropriate/timely progression of routine work and projects
- Key point of communication with senior leaders for controlling, strategic support, reporting, and planning as well as taking an active leadership role in the Finance community in London and globally
- Understand all aspects of Accounting including revenue recognition, gross-to-net, external clinical trial accruals, milestones, etc.
- Monitor and account for all capital projects, including the timely capture of all project commitments and assist managers in performing project and/or capital expenditure cost analysis and justification as needed
- Ensure compliance with internal control
- Minimum 5 years in progressively complex financial leadership roles
- Experience supporting both R&D and commercial organizations
- Experience working in a matrixed, global environment; people management experience preferred
- Experience working for a multi-national biopharmaceutical or healthcare company preferred
- Accounting experience preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Strong English language skills (reading and written)
- Strong computer literacy is essential, particularly across all Microsoft Office packages, NetSuite and Adaptive Insights
- BA/BS in Finance or Accounting (or other relevant field), MBA or advanced degree preferred