Principal Scientist/Associate Director - Cell Screening and Pharmacology, Discovery Technology
We are seeking a highly skilled and visionary professional with expertise in cell screening and in vitro pharmacology to join Nurix’s Research team. Nurix is devoted to unlocking the therapeutic potential of the ubiquitin proteasome system (UPS) in oncology, immune-oncology and other therapeutic areas. This role provides a unique opportunity to contribute to groundbreaking research in the field of targeted protein modulation. The successful candidate will be a key member of the Early Discovery organization and playing a leading role responsible for developing and implementing strategic plans for cellular assay development, screening, and pharmacological characterization. This individual will work closely with an experienced team of interdisciplinary scientists and will have regular opportunities to present findings and opinions to project teams and senior management. The ideal candidate will be self-driven, resourceful, very organized and focused, and enjoy working in a dynamic team environment.
- Provide scientific leadership and strategic directions for cell screening and in vitro pharmacology activities across discovery portfolio.
- Oversee routine profiling of compounds, particularly targeted protein degraders, and evaluating in vitro pharmacology and mechanism of action in relevant cell-based systems
- Continuously optimize and manage routine profiling processes, ensuring consistency and reliability in data generation
- Manage and mentor a team of scientists, fostering a result-driven and collaborative working environment
- Provide scientific guidance and expertise to the cell screening team, project teams and senior management
- Generate comprehensive data reports and visualizations and presentations, facilitating effective communication of results to project teams and stakeholders.
- Drive technology and methodology innovation to enhance assay performance and robustness and IT tools advancement for streamlined data processing, analysis, and visualization.
- Collaborate closely with chemistry, biology and other functions in Research organization
- Contribute to the design and execution of critical screening and pharmacological studies to assess the biological activity of compounds, particularly for lead molecules and drug candidates
- Analyze and interpret experimental data, troubleshoot technical challenges, and propose innovative solutions.
- Stay current with the latest scientific literature and industry developments in the field of targeted protein degradation and drug discovery.
- Keep accurate and detailed records of experiments, methodologies, and results in electronic laboratory notebooks and database.
- MS with 10+ or Ph.D. with 8+ years of relevant experience in a relevant scientific field (Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Biology, etc.) with a strong academic track record.
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture and plate-based cellular assays (e.g. BRET-based assays, luminescence assays)
- Experience in setting up high-throughput screening for routine compound profiling and in vitro pharmacology
- Experience with automation equipment (e.g. liquid handlers) and automated workflows is a strong plus
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, underpinned by a keen aptitude for critically evaluating and interpreting experimental findings.
- Impeccable organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail, readily adaptable to the demands of a dynamic research environment.
- Excellent communication skills, fostering collaboration and teamwork within a diverse and multidisciplinary setting.