Scientist II, Discovery Biology
NGM Bio is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering and developing novel, life-changing medicines for people whose health and lives have been disrupted by disease. The company’s biology-centric drug discovery approach aims to seamlessly integrate interrogation of complex disease-associated biology and protein engineering expertise to unlock proprietary insights that are leveraged to generate promising product candidates and enable their rapid advancement into proof-of-concept studies. As explorers on the frontier of life-changing science, NGM Bio aspires to operate one of the most productive research and development engines in the biopharmaceutical industry. All therapeutic candidates in the NGM Bio pipeline have been generated by its in-house discovery engine, always led by biology and motivated by unmet patient need. In addition to a healthy balance sheet and cash runway, the company currently has four programs in active clinical development. Visit us at www.ngmbio.com for more information.
NGM is excited to hire a passionate and highly motivated scientist to join our early-stage drug discovery efforts. The successful candidate will join an energetic group working to ideate, validate, and develop new protein-based therapeutics for a variety of disease areas. This position is ideal for a recent PhD graduate with a deeply inquisitive disposition, a free-flowing imagination, and an ambition to be a key contributor on a multidisciplinary and fast-paced drug hunting team.
- Develop new ideas for drug targets and/or target identification strategies
- Stay abreast of latest scientific and technology advancements in the field
- Design and perform in vitro and/or in vivo experiments with minimal oversight
- Employ modern molecular/cell/biochemistry techniques to establish screening systems for novel biology interrogation, technology development, and antibody characterization
- Investigate new technologies and/or methodologies to enhance research productivity
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across multiple departments to support target validation and drug discovery
- Present ideas and experimental results to senior management and other research staff
- Supervise and/or mentor research associates in support of drug discovery programs
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Ph.D. in biological sciences with successful post-doctoral research experience preferably in areas related to autoimmune, metabolism, or oncology
- Sustained productivity evidenced by high quality publications
- Must exhibit a diverse set of experimental skills, and proven ability to acquire new knowledge and skills
- Passion for Biology, and more broadly, the spirit of scientific investigation
- Demonstrated scientific creativity and willingness to take risks
- Highly collaborative, willing to iterate quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in experimental design and execution
- Ability to concisely communicate complex information and processes
- Exceptional candidates without post-doctoral relevant experience may be considered as Scientist I
Position is based at NGM Bio’s South San Francisco office location with expectation for regular on-site presence.
NGM Biopharmaceuticals fosters diversity and inclusion in the workplace and actively encourages applications from women and underrepresented minorities.
At the time of posting, the wage range for this role at the Scientist II level is $120,100 to $155,400 per year for candidates located in the Bay Area. For applicants outside of the Bay Area, the pay range may adjust according to geographic compensation data.