Scientist, Computational Biology
About Maze Therapeutics
Maze Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company that is harnessing the power of human genetics to transform the lives of patients, with a focus on genetically informed therapies for common diseases such as chronic kidney disease. Maze applies variant functionalization in tandem with advanced data science methods and a robust suite of research and development capabilities to advance a pipeline of novel precision medicines. Maze has developed the Maze Compass Platform TM, a proprietary, purpose-built platform to understand and integrate the critical step of variant functionalization into each stage of drug development. Utilizing the Maze Compass PlatformTM, Maze is building a broad portfolio of wholly owned and partnered programs. Maze is based in South San Francisco.
Maze is comprised of a team of passionate and creative professionals committed to discovering and delivering transformative medicines to patients suffering from rare and common genetic diseases. We are fostering a culture that encourages vision, initiative, and the development of talent. Our supportive work environment inspires creative thinking and freedom of expression, resulting in a stimulating atmosphere where people enjoy coming to work. While we have a passion for advanced science and pride ourselves on excellence in execution everything we do is about patients.
Our Core Values
Further Together – Our path is paved with challenges, but with resilience and a team-first mentality, we’ll achieve our mission.
Impact Obsessed – We embrace the bold, take calculated risks, and learn from our mistakes to improve the lives of others.
Stand True – Our integrity is foundational; it guides us no matter the obstacle.
We are seeking an exceptional Computational Biology Scientist to join our Translational Genomics team, which consists of human genetics, functional genomics and computational biology groups. You will design and integrate analyses of external and internal multi-omics datasets with proprietary computational pipelines as well as cutting edge algorithms to support drug discovery and development programs. Youe will partner with human genetics, functional genomics, data science, biology, drug discovery, and other functions at Maze to translate genetics insights into therapies. You will work closely with cross functional project teams in all stages of drug discovery and development, from new target discovery to clinical biomarker identification and patient stratification.
This is a hybrid position.
You will report to the Director of Computational Biology.
Your Impact Includes:
- Collaborating closely with internal cross functional teams to perform computational analyses of internal and external multi-omics data sets in support of rapid evaluation and advancement of therapeutic programs
- Partnering with Human Genetics, Functional Genomics, Data Science, Biology, and Translational Science teams to identify opportunities to design experiments and integrating public data sets to generate proprietary insights about key aspects of disease biology
- Leveraging major scientific and technological advances, including large-scale human health databases (FinnGen, Genes & Health, UK Biobank), cutting-edge informatics platforms, to generate breakthrough understanding of biological pathways and functional genomics screening opportunities
- Continuously developing computational biology pipelines, incorporating evolving computational approaches as needed to solve innovative biological problems while partnering with Data Science
- Effectively communicating, disseminating, and interpreting computational analysis results and designing follow-up experiments with biologists in project teams
- PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, or similar fields with 2+ years of experience in a computational biology role with industry experience a plus
- Broad and deep hands-on experience with public data mining, computational analysis, and interpretation of integrated data from genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, epigenomics, single cell technologies; experience with spatial transcriptomics, metabolomics, and/or functional genomics screens a plus
- Demonstrated ability to integrate human genetics with multi-dimensional datasets to prioritize drug targets, uncover mechanism of action, and discover biomarkers.
- Extensive experience with R/ Bioconductor, or Python programming; bioinformatics tools including NGS and multi-omics analyses, evaluation and implementation of fit-for-purpose algorithms and tools. Image analysis experience a plus
- Proficiency with AWS cloud computing strongly preferred, and pipeline development experience a plus
- Exceptional cross-functional communication skills with a strong record of collaboration with interdisciplinary teams
- Strong intellectual curiosity with demonstrated ability to develop, evaluate, and apply innovative algorithms to solve problems and impact projects
- Proven record of exceptional contributions to science and technologies as demonstrated through publications or patents
The expected salary range for this role for employees located in the San Francisco bay area is $127,000 - $150,000. Additionally, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus.
Maze performs position-based compensation benchmarking to industry market data to ensure we pay competitive wages. Determination of starting salary will depend upon a variety of job-related factors, which may include professional experience, skills and job location. The expected salary range for this role may be modified in the future.
Maze offers a robust benefits package to our eligible employees including competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health offerings, equity incentive plan, 401(k) program with employer match and a generous holiday and PTO policy.
Something looks off?