Scientist I, Anti-Fungal Drug Discovery
We are seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented scientist with broad experience in fungal genetics/microbiology and medical mycology to join our growing anti-fungal drug discovery team located in Cambridge, MA. The ideal candidate will have made substantial contributions to the understanding of basic fungal biology and/or translational anti-fungal research. Expertise in the pathogenesis and treatment landscape for fungal diseases (eg. aspergillosis, candidiasis, or cryptococcus), is a plus.
This position will be based in Cambridge, MA.
- Develop and optimize in vitro assays and plan in vivo studies for screening GEMs against diverse fungal strains with the goal of discovering new drugs for pathogenic fungal infections
- Collaborate with genomics, automation, synthetic biology, and GEM retrieval teams to make the screening workflow robust, automated and high throughput
- Proactively evaluate relevant new technologies, be well-versed with current literature, and implement new features and functionality as needed
- Play a key role in optimizing and developing new experimental protocols and/or adopt and optimize existing protocols to suit need
- Generate oral and written reports on performed experiments. Attend team meetings for experimental planning and present results in project meetings
- PhD with 0-2 years of industry experience or 0-2 years of relevant post doc experience in Fungal Infection Biology/Genetics or related subject area with hands-on experience in culturing and manipulating fungi; experience in whole animal models for anti-fungal research desirable
- Deep knowledge of biology and pathogenesis of filamentous fungi and secondary metabolism; well versed in designing assays to monitor fungal growth/proliferation as well as pathway biology and mechanism-of-action
- Ability to translate laboratory research into the translational/clinical setting for patient treatment
- Good familiarity with Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) assay protocols for anti-fungal testing
- Industry experience preferred but not essential
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to clearly present project progress in team meetings
- A sense of adventure and excitement to contribute to cutting-edge anti-fungal drug discovery and work collaboratively in a highly dynamic multidisciplinary team environment