Senior Director, Global External Medical Engagement Lead
Why Join Intellia?
Our mission is to develop curative genome editing treatments that can positively transform the lives of people living with severe and life-threatening diseases.
Beyond our science, we live our four core values: One, Explore, Disrupt, Deliver and feel strongly that you can achieve more at Intellia. We have a single-minded determination to excel and succeed together. We believe in the power of curiosity and pushing boundaries. We welcome challenging thoughts and imagination to develop innovative solutions. And we know that patients are counting on us to make the promise a reality, so we must maintain high standards and get it done.
We want all of our people to go beyond what is possible. We aren’t constrained by typical end rails, and we aren’t out to just “treat” people. We’re all in this for something more. We’re driven to cure and motivated for change. Just imagine the possibilities of what we can do together.
We are seeking a Senior Director, Global External Medical Engagement Lead to join our growing team at Intellia Therapeutics. This role will build and lead the external medical engagement function that will focus on interactions and partnerships with Healthcare Systems, Trial Investigators, Academic and Professional Societies, Medical Experts, and HCPs. This individual will be a senior leader on the Medical Affairs team and have an opportunity to build and manage an inaugural field medical organization of Regional Scientific Directors as we expand our development programs and prepare for the introduction of novel gene editing therapies.
The Global External Medical Engagement Lead role will be responsible to build and lead internal and field-based activities in support of the overall Medical Affairs (MA) Strategy and program objectives. The role provides strategic guidance on the development and implementation of External Engagement operations, goals, and objectives, and ensures alignment with cross-functional stakeholders to provide an aligned approach that results in efficient and impactful medical engagement across internal and external stakeholders.
- Build, develop and lead the External Medical Engagement Team globally to establish and maintain high-quality standards and ensure consistent, compliant implementation
- Design and implement a 1-3 year External Medical Engagement plan, with operational and strategic objectives, including team growth and deployment
- Drive excellence in External Medical Engagement operations and activities, incorporating best practices into guidance and/or processes, systems, tools, and training
- Lead Engagement initiatives with top Academic and Professional Medical Society stakeholders for multiple programs.
- Drive Healthcare System and Institutional medical engagements to gather insights about care-pathways, processes and research infrastructure related to efficient and effective implementation of gene editing therapies
- Drive the development of core standards and resources for a team of Regional Scientific Directors (RSDs)
- Lead Medical Expert (ME) and Healthcare System (HCS) Engagement planning, identification and territory mapping for Medical Affairs
- Provide strong leadership to Field-based medical teams, including overseeing onboarding, training, coaching, performance management, goal setting, staffing & recruitment, and plan execution,
- Assess and develop relevant training curriculum for Field-based teams on role-specific skills and relevant systems for RSDs (ex. CRM, Veeva Vault) in conjunction with the buildout of the MA training function
- Develop best practices for collection, monitoring and reporting on key performance metrics for Field-based team and leads the comprehensive strategy for synthesizing industry insights and regulatory guidance to ensure integration of industry best practices for External Engagement activities
- Build and maintain effective strategic relationships and influence across Medical Affairs and other relevant stakeholders (e.g., Legal and Compliance, Commercial) to effectively collaborate on the development of processes to increase effectiveness in the strategic and operational needs within the External Engagement function
- Participate as senior subject matter expert in corporate cross-functional initiatives addressing activities and resources relevant to External Engagements
- Remains current on industry trends; responsible for thought leadership bringing external environmental insights to support External Engagement performance across regions
- Responsible to synthesize and bring forward the voice of external stakeholders to the internal teams that fosters a customer centric culture
- PharmD, MD, or other recognized doctorate level education with supporting applicable health science background.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of clinical development experience and 10 years of relevant work experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry, with a strong medical or scientific background; experience in rare disease strongly preferred.
- Previous field-based medicine experience required, with a minimum of 4 years’ Medical Science Liaison experience, clinical trial experience or Healthcare System Engagement role
- Previous management experience leading a field-based medical team at a national level required, with a minimum of 5 years managing direct reports required
- Experience in planning and building a Field-based team strongly desired
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, ability to build credibility and trust inside and outside Intellia.
- Previous launch experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to uncover non-clinical barriers to implementation with the ability to think strategically and problem solve.
- Proven ability to build and develop high performing teams, excellent delegation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with demonstrated ability to be a player coach when developing and leading innovative teams?
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy: All Intellia employees, regardless of work location, are expected to follow all applicable federal, state, and local public health regulations and guidelines, and are strongly encouraged to follow all public health recommendations, including being vaccinated for COVID-19.
EEOC Statement: Intellia believes in a diverse environment, and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Intellia will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.