Research Intern: Metabolic Disease
We're seeking a motivated candidate to join the Metabolic Disease Therapeutic Area team at insitro for an internship. Your research as an intern will directly contribute to our ongoing study of metabolic dysfunction-associated steatotic liver disease (or MASLD) biology. You will work closely with a team of driven scientists to develop cellular assays that recapitulate key aspects of metabolic dysregulation in the liver. You will validate the cellular models using multiple approaches including microscopy and genetic and chemical perturbations. Your responsibilities could evolve as the project progresses. As a part of this team, you will learn about target discovery and validation research in an exciting and fast-paced biotech environment. You will report to a Sci II on the Metabolic Disease team. This is primarily a lab-based role in our South San Francisco office, onsite 5X/ week.
- Culture and maintenance of different primary and immortalized cell lines
- Use genetic and chemical perturbations to create relevant cell-based disease models
- Perform high-content fluorescence microscopy and image analysis
- Conduct plate-based cellular functional assays
- Maintain an electronic lab notebook (ELN) to accurately capture experiment planning, execution, and results
- Follow all laboratory training and safety requirements
- Poster presentation to communicate key findings from the internship to the broader insitro team
- PhD candidate or a recent PhD graduate in the biological sciences or related discipline (e.g. molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, bioengineering, biochemistry)
- Required - experience with mammalian cell culture techniques
- Experience with troubleshooting and incorporating insights/protocols from literature
- Highly desirable - experience with cell based functional assays (ELISA/biochemical), qPCR, fluorescence microscopy
- Bonus - familiarity with the Seahorse assay platform
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $55 - $65. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees on our base plans), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion need to be at the foundation of our culture. We work hard to bring together diverse teams–grounded in a wide range of expertise and life experiences–and work even harder to ensure those teams thrive in inclusive, growth-oriented environments supported by equitable company and team practices. All candidates can expect equitable treatment, respect, and fairness throughout the interview process.