Privacy Engineer II
Remote · United States
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2023
How you will help
Working with our engineering and data science teams, you will own and be responsible for identifying privacy risks and opportunities in how we aggregate healthcare data. You’ll use the best tools and craft the most innovative algorithms to lead HealthVerity and its clients in remaining HIPAA-compliant. You will play an integral part in building a culture of accountability and agile response for everything yet to come.
What you will do
• Act as a healthcare privacy subject matter expert to provide insights & results that will help guide the direction of the company and industry
• Identify and quantify privacy risks in big data using statistical modeling
• Design privacy preserving models to de-identify joined data (including k-anonymity, k-concealment, l-diversity) from a variety of non-standard data sources
• Work closely with statistical experts to create and maintain HIPAA and industry certifications for sensitive data
• Collaborate with software engineers to implement privacy protection plans in real-world data feeds
• Creatively link information from healthcare records with a wide array of non-traditional and supplemental data sources
• Develop and implement scalable and efficient modeling algorithms that can work with big data in production systems
• Utilize some of the most exciting open-source tools like Spark, Hadoop, Docker, Airflow, Zeppelin
• You believe patient privacy is an important element to data analysis, and are willing to protect that privacy against any reasonable threat
• You are thoughtful and detail-oriented, and can apply that to procedures, infrastructure, and code
• You have a proactive approach to privacy and security in your ability to point out vulnerabilities and provide practical solutions
• You can adjust and adapt your communication by explaining complex concepts in simpler terms
Desired skills and experience
• M.S. degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics or related field, or B.S. with at least five years of experience
• Strong background in statistical modeling and information theory concepts, and a track record of solving problems with these methods
• Fluent in C/C++ or Java
• Ability to learn and teach new concepts quickly from peers and papers, and apply these ideas in practice
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Detailed knowledge of healthcare privacy regulations and de-identification
• Familiarity with encryption and secure multiparty computing is a plus
Our company challenges
• Empowering clients with highly rewarding data discovery and licensing tools
• Ingesting and managing billions of healthcare records from a wide variety of partners
• Standardizing on common data models across data types
• Orchestrating an industry-leading HIPAA privacy layer
• Innovating our proprietary de-identification and data science algorithms
• Building a culture that supports rapid iteration and new possibilities
Base salary for the role is commensurate with experience and can range between $90,000 - 130,000 + annual bonus opportunity.
HealthVerity synchronizes transformational technologies with the nation’s largest healthcare and consumer data ecosystem to power previously unattainable outcomes and fundamentally advance the science. We offer a comprehensive, yet flexible approach, based on the foundational elements of Identity, Privacy, Governance and Exchange (IPGE), that synchronizes unparalleled Identity management with built-in Privacy compliance and Governance, providing the ability to discover and Exchange a near limitless combination of data at a record pace. Together with our partners in life sciences, government and insurance, we are Synchronizing the Science. To learn more about HealthVerity, visit healthverity.com.
Why you'll love working here
We are making a difference – Our technology is at the forefront of some of the biggest healthcare challenges in the world.
We are one team – Our people define our culture and always will. We take time out to celebrate each other at the end of every week through company-wide shout outs, and acknowledge the value that each of us adds towards our greater mission. Come share all you have to offer.
We are learners – Every team member is continually learning, no matter if we've been in a role for one year or much longer. We are committed to learning and implementing what is best for our clients, partners, and each other.
Benefits & Perks
• Compensation: competitive base salary & annual bonus opportunity (for non-commissioned roles)
• Benefits: comprehensive benefits with coverage on Day 1, medical, dental, vision, 401k, stock options
• Flexible location: our HQ is in Philadelphia with 50% of the team distributed across 25+ states
• Generous PTO: Take time off as needed, targeted at 4 weeks per year, including vacation, personal and sick time, plus paid maternity and paternity leave.
• Comprehensive and individualized onboarding: mentorship program, departmental talks, and a library of resources are available beginning day 1 for each new team member to minimize the stress of starting a new job
• Professional development: biweekly 1:1s, hands-on leadership that is goal-and growth-oriented for each team member, and an annual budget to support professional development pursuits
HealthVerity is an equal opportunity employer devoted to inclusion in the workplace. We believe incorporating different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds make us stronger and encourages an environment where ageism, racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia or any other form of discrimination are not tolerated. All qualified job applicants will be given consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. At HealthVerity, we’re working towards an innovative and connected future for healthcare data and believe the future is better together. We can only do that if everyone has a seat at the table. Read our Equity Inclusion and Diversity Statement.
Remote opportunities are not available in all areas and require team members to work from a fixed location due to tax and labor law implications - specific questions about remote positions can be discussed during the interview process with your recruiter.
See more open positions at Healthverity
Something looks off?