Senior Data Engineer #3013
Durham, NC, USA
Posted on Monday, February 5, 2024
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
Operational Intelligence is seeking an experienced Data Engineer to help grow our ability to organize, transform, analyze and monitor operational data streams to derive significant insights while maintaining high standards of data integrity and reproducibility. In this role, you will play a critical role in amplifying the signal present in the noise of information generated by day-to-day operations as well as serve as a technical leader for the broader team. The varied nature of this role requires excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to easily translate information between functional groups within the organization. Working closely with different partners, you will collaborate with various teams, from Operations to Software Engineering to build and maintain access to data. The insights and processes you generate will help drive the informed decision-making process and ensure GRAIL’s robust products continue to detect cancer early!
- Build and maintain end-to-end data analytics pipelines that include: design, data gathering, processing, analysis, iteration with partners, and presentation of results
- Define and develop data workflows from data pre-processing and automation through data dissemination
- Perform critical data analyses to support operations such as real-time process monitoring or troubleshooting
- Process, analyze, and present a diverse data set including customer service, sample processing, engineering, and many other sources
- Work closely with the Lab Operations teams to generate useful metrics for monitoring efficacy and preventing failures before they occur
- Interact cross-functionally with other teams including software, operations, research, and product development
Your Background Should Include
- BS in a quantitative scientific field (computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics, bioinformatics, etc.) with 6 or more years of experience
- M.S. in a quantitative scientific field with 4 or more years of experience
- Demonstrated experience with Python programming and at least one system-level programming language like Go or C++
- Demonstrated experience with SQL development and data warehousing concepts (e.g. ETL/ELT)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent teammate with a proven track record of success in a multi-functional team environment
- Technical leadership, self-direction, and willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques is highly desirable
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.