Staff IT Engineer - San Diego # 3468
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2024
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
GRAIL is seeking a Staff IT Engineer. As a key member of our team, you will work as the project lead of the IT Security Engineer Team, work with key stakeholders in Security, Security Engineering, and across IT to align on a roadmap. You will lead the IT implementation towards that roadmap while providing technical leadership to the IT implementation team.
This role is located at GRAIL’s RTP facility. It is a hybrid role in which you will work two (2) days a week onsite in RTP.
Security Project Lead Responsibilities
- As the project lead of the IT Security Engineering Team, work with key stakeholders (Security, Security Engineering, Compliance, and IT) to lead delivery towards the IT Security Roadmap.
- Engage with key stakeholders to define requirements, organize priorities, provide mitigation roadmap and ensure timely deliverability of artifacts.
- Run the IT Security work intake process, issue triaging, groom backlog and run the kanban board.
- Engage with the IT Compliance Team to ensure that all development and deployment follows appropriate validation processes and change control.
- Monitor the external cyber security landscape, in partnership with partners, to be aware of developments and requisite actions that our IT organization needs to take.
Security Project Management Responsibilities
- Manage IT security projects (scope, schedule, implementation, testing and validation, and deployment) from inception to production.
- Build project plans in Jira.
- Work with the team to track progress towards that plan on a regular basis.
- Communicate progress towards defined OKRs and committed project plans.
- Provide Quarterly Operational reporting of IT Security operational KPIs and OKR progress.
Technical Leadership Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership to the IT implementation team across IT automation, SaaS Admin, and Help Desk teams.
- Educate staff in security best practices, initiate effective communication with the workforce, from IT side, to create awareness.
- Manage the breakdown of technical work, with coaching and mentoring of the team.
- Demonstrated alignment with GRAIL values: Embrace Change, Be Courageous, Bring an Open Mind, Solve Problems Together, and Think BIG!
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent, advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated results-oriented technical problem solving ability in the IT security space.
- Demonstrated expertise and success with Identity and Access Management at the SaaS and Infrastructure levels.
- 8+ years of coding (e.g. Python, Java, shell scripting) and automation experience.
- 5+ years of development/IT experience in a highly regulated environment (healthcare, finance, or similar).
- 5+ years of experience in information security including VPN, DLP, MDM, Shadow IT management, endpoint protection, VDI, SCIM and Identity Mgmt (e.g. Okta). Security certifications are a plus.
- 5+ years of experience managing projects across teams, technology & business centric teams.
- 3+ years of experience providing technical leadership to other engineers
The expected, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $160,000 - 185,000. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.