Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform #3455
Menlo Park, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2023
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
Are you passionate about working with data while making an impact on the fight against cancer? If so, join us on the Data Platform team in Software Engineering at GRAIL!
GRAIL is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to help us evolve our data platform by supporting the growing data needs of GRAIL’s clinical and research activities. In this role you are a member of our data platform backend software team, and you will have the opportunity to advance GRAIL's pioneering applications and make a profound difference in the lives of those affected by cancer!
This a hybrid (on/off-site) role located in our Menlo Park, CA HQ with 2 days a week onsite. Due to the hybrid requirement at this point we are looking for an exceptional software engineer, confident in data platforms, who is located within driving distance of Menlo Park.
- Be a part of a highly collaborative team that focuses on delivering value to cross-functional partners by providing secure access to data.
- Prototype, implement, deploy, and support our cloud data platform as we continue to bring in new data sources.
- Develop and maintain batch and streaming data pipelines to deliver data products utilized by our Commercial and Operations partners.
- Have a passion and attention to detail for all aspects of data engineering including ingestion, modeling/transformations, validation/quality, storage, and delivery.
- Seek continuous improvements in technical solutions as well as processes and have an open mind for giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- B.S. / M.S. in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Biology) with at least 5 years of related industry experience, or Ph.D. with at least 3 years of related industry experience.
- Significant experience in developing and deploying secure, scalable cloud-based data warehouses / data lakes on AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Significant experience with DevOps, including CI/CD pipelines, containerized deployment/Kubernetes, and infrastructure-as-code/Terraform.
- Advanced knowledge in data warehousing architecture and data modeling principles.
- Solid experience with object-oriented and/or functional programming, e.g. Python and Golang.
- Solid experience with data pipeline tools and workflow engines, e.g. DBT, Apache Airflow, AWS GLUE, Spark.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Software as a Medical Device and experience working in a regulated environment.
- Experience with relational databases, query authoring, and performance tuning.
- Experience with cloud security and data governance tools/framework.
The estimated, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $145,000 - $170,000. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.