Equipment Engineer Summer Internship #3560
Durham, NC, USA
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2023
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
As an Equipment Engineer Intern at GRAIL, you will play a crucial role in supporting Strategic Engineering within Engineering Operations in providing site-wide assistance for manufacturing and development operations activities while implementing global solutions. This internship offers a hands-on experience in executing Equipment Lifecycle Management (installations, upgrades) processes, ensuring regulatory compliance, and collaborating with cross functional teams.
You will expected to be onsite in Durham NC with our team 5 days a week during your internship. Start date is June 3, end date is Aug 16. There is a one week unpaid summer break July 1-5th.
- Assist in executing Equipment Lifecycle Management processes and procedures.
- Support the maintenance of equipment records.
- Exposure to ISO 13485 and CAP/CLIA regulations.
- Assist in guiding efforts to ensure reliability and maintainability of equipment in accordance with GRAIL’s internal Quality Management System (eQMS) guidelines.
- Support the development and administration of preventive/predictive maintenance programs.
- Contribute to efforts aimed at reducing unplanned maintenance and improving equipment efficiency.
- Support failure reporting, analysis, and corrective action systems.
- Contribute to the identification and implementation of engineering solutions to mitigate repetitive failures and enhance plant efficiency.
- Contribute to the creation and updating of procedures, work instructions, guidelines, and testing documents.
- Learn and have fun!
Your Background Should Include:
- Current enrollment in an engineering or science-related bachelor degree program
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills to work as a leader, provide internal customer support, and influence other departments and individuals
- Excellent time management skills to support a fast-paced working environment
- Basic industrial, electrical, and mechanical knowledge
- Experience with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software
- Basic knowledge of data analysis tools and techniques, including proficiency in Excel or other statistical analysis software
- Knowledge of instrumentation principles and control systems
- Familiarity with QA/QC processes and methodologies
Physical Demands/Working Environment:
- Regularly required to stand, sit, walk, climb stairs/ladders, kneel, crouch, or wear safety gear.
- Must regularly lift and / or move up to 10 pounds.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.