Research Summer Internship (Bioinformatics & Machine Learning)
Menlo Park, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
This 10-week summer intern position will be part of the Research team working at the interface of our one-of-a-kind DNA methylation-based dataset of >10,000 cell-free DNA samples, outstanding cloud computing infrastructure, and unparalleled curated clinical data to discover novel biological insights into the detection of early stage cancer. You will be trained in the development of methods, analysis, pipelines, and algorithms of next-generation sequencing data, for cancer detection, conformance to regulatory requirements. You will enjoy life in the San Francisco Bay Area!
You will participate with other summer interns, and in our scientific excellence and innovation culture! You are expected to be onsite in Menlo Park, CA with our team 2-5 days a week during your internship. Start date is June 3, end date is Aug 16. There is a one week unpaid summer break July 1-5th.
- Work on complex computational problems requiring exploratory data analysis, use of custom and existing bioinformatics tools, and application of various statistical and machine learning methods
- Find new solutions to scientific problems through collaboration with software engineers, data scientists, and biologists· Exercise judgment in defining methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Translate findings into recommendations for the development of new products
Possible areas of focus:
- Develop novel machine learning models on methylation-based genomics data to optimize cancer detection from liquid biopsy
- Apply computational and statistical methods to interpret classification models and biological data, identify and validate genomic features driving tumor development
Your Background Should Include:
- Pursuing or recently completed a Masters or Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related field.
- Previous Life Science (Genetics) and Machine Learning research experience
- Experienced with machine learning or statistics as applied to the modeling and analysis of high-dimensional genomics data and analytical study design
- Experienced with manipulating, analyzing, and visualizing large genomics data sets
- Demonstrated understanding in R or Python, and proficiency in Linux environment
- Knowledge of cloud technologies (such as AWS)
- Experience with source control practices and tools (Git, Perforce, Arcanist, etc.)
- Familiarity with TensorFlow
The expected hourly pay scale for this position for Masters: $50/hr or PhD: $55/hr. Actual hourly pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.