Senior Scientist Assay Development # 2763
Menlo Park, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Senior Scientist to join our Assay Development team to work on new applications for cancer analysis (Minimal Residual Disease, Prognosis, Monitoring). The ideal candidate should have a proven track record developing products or lab tests from feasibility to launch, contributing to the development, and validation of assays for cancer detection. Experience working in a regulated environment under design control is important. Strong technical and troubleshooting skills are essential. Must be a strong teammate with the ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse group of people!
- Apply knowledge of biochemistry and molecular biology to develop robust products with streamlined workflows
- Use your knowledge of regulatory and quality requirements and design control guidance to lead the team in planning and executing experiments, including but not limited to assay optimization, guard banding, verification and validation studies.
- Work closely with data analysis team to design experiments and interpret results
- Work closely with clinical operations team to understand requirements and transfer tests
- Document your work per Quality requirements
- Supervise and train scientists and research associates
- Collaborate with departmental and cross-functional team members
Your qualifications and background will include:
- M.S. or Ph. D in Molecular Biology or Biochemistry
- 4+ years (w/ Ph.D)/ 8+ years (w/ M.S.) of industry experience in the Life Sciences or Diagnostics industry; postdoctoral experience in relevant field may count towards work experience
- Minimum 3 years of development experience with a proven track record developing successful products
- More than 2 years experience with NGS and/or circulating nucleic acid based tests a plus
- Experience designing and guiding the execution of analytical / validation studies for PMA submissions a plus
- Experience working in a regulated environment, CLIA, CAP, FDA, etcAn excellent understanding of genetic assays and molecular biology
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Experience transferring a product to a clinical laboratory
- Experience with design, execution and interpretation of DOEs
- Experience working under design control
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and willingness to collaborate cross-functionally in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Strong technical writing skills
- Tolerance for change and willingness to find solutions
The expected, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $124000 - $155000. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.