Senior Bioinformatics and Data Scientist, Translational Bioinformatics #2517
Menlo Park, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2023
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
We are seeking a talented and experienced Senior Scientist to join our Translational Bioinformatics team working within GRAIL’s Research division. You will play a key role in cancer detection, disease and treatment response monitoring as well as disease biology characterization, with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes across the continuum of cancer treatment. You will work with diverse teams including software, clinical, operations, research, product development, and external collaborators to develop new diagnostic products for oncology drug discovery and translational research.
- Lead end-to-end bioinformatics analysis including data gathering, processing, analysis, iteration with stakeholders and presentation of results.
- Take ownership of the assigned project components by drafting the analysis plan, driving execution, ensuring high quality deliverables, and meeting the project timelines.
- Build and maintain cross-functional relationships with research, clinical, regulatory, and business teams. Collaborate with the team effectively to ensure the implementation of rigorous bioinformatics methods and delivery of scientifically sound results.
- Communicate results and incorporate feedback from Pharma partners and internal stakeholders.
- Apply state-of-the-art statistical methods and machine learning algorithms to generate interpretable, reliable results. Design and implement innovative methodologies and tools to enhance data analysis and interpretation, and remain up-to-date on the latest advancements in computational methods.
- Contribute to scientific publications, conference presentations, and internal knowledge sharing activities to disseminate research findings and promote scientific excellence within the organization.
- Mentor junior members of the team.
- B.S. or M.S. with 5+ years relevant experience, or Ph.D. with 2+ years relevant experience in bioinformatics, computational biology, or a related field, or equivalent preparation and experience.
- Solid understanding of statistics and machine learning methods.
- Expertise in R or Python is required.
- Clear, positive, and proactive communicator in verbal and written communications.
- Extensive experience in translational bioinformatics, including the analysis and interpretation of genomic, epigenomic, transcriptomic, or proteomic data.
- Familiar with NGS workflows.
- Knowledge of version control tools and reproducible research practices in a Linux environment.
- Experience working in oncology, diagnostics, and/or pharma.
The expected, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $139,000 - $184,500. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.