Staff Bioinformatics Scientist - Machine Learning/Classifier Research and Development #2802 (San Diego)
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 6, 2023
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
GRAIL is seeking a Staff Bioinformatics Scientist to join the Machine Learning and Classifier Development team within the Bioinformatics and Data Science group. In this role, you will collaborate with scientists, engineers, and clinicians to identify signals and methods for cancer detection and categorization. You will apply cutting-edge machine learning algorithms to GRAIL’s rich sequencing datasets, and write robust software to implement and test new ideas. Your efforts will contribute to exciting biological discoveries, influential scientific publications, and impactful products for the early detection of cancer.
- Envision, design, and own projects to investigate classifier performance and exploit opportunities for improvement
- Collaborate both within the Bioinformatics group and cross-functionally to plan, execute, and interpret experiments
- Develop high-quality, reproducible software to achieve project goals in accordance with sound engineering principles
- Follow best practices from machine learning and statistics to generate interpretable, reliable results
- Present project updates and results regularly at technical meetings
- B.S. or M.S. with 8+ years relevant experience, or Ph.D. with 5+ years relevant experience in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent preparation and experience
- Deep understanding of modern statistical and machine learning practices
- Experience analyzing sequencing and genomics data to derive biological insights
- Expertise in data analysis using R or Python
- Preferred, experience with at least one system-level programming language (e.g. Go, Java, C, C++)
- Experience with version control tools (e.g. git) and reproducible research practices in a Linux environment
- Track record of scientific contributions (highly cited publications, tools, products, or data sets used in commercial products and by the scientific community, presentations at international conferences, intellectual property, and awards)
- Self-direction, willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The estimated, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $173,000 - $200,000. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.