Staff Software Engineer: Cloud Data Engineering #2563
Software Engineering, Data Science
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2022
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
Are you passionate about unlocking the value of data to make an impact on the lives of patients? If so, join us in Software Engineering at GRAIL! We are looking for a Staff Cloud / Data Engineer to join our growing team to build out a data platform in support of GRAIL’s commercial products and research activities.
In this role we look for you to:
- Prototype, implement, scale, and maintain our AWS cloud data platform as we continue to bring in new data sources
- Develop batch and streaming data extraction pipelines
- Contribute to the design and execution of a data governance framework
- Be part of a highly collaborative team that focuses on delivering value to our internal partners by providing secure access to data
- Work cross-functionally to translate business needs into efficient, scalable, and easy to maintain data engineering solutions
Your Background Should Include:
- B.S. / M.S. in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Biology) with at least 8 years of related industry experience, or Ph.D. with at least 3 years of related industry experience
- Experience in architecting and delivering secure, scalable cloud-based data warehouses and data lakes on AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Advanced knowledge in data warehousing architecture and concepts (ETL and ELT) and data modeling
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC), we use Terraforms
- Experience with relational databases, query authoring, and performance tuning
- Solid object-oriented and/or functional programming experience in Go, Java and/or Python
- A sincere desire to excel individually and as a team
Preferences Highly Considered:
- Experience with AWS and data migration
- Experience with Golang and Python
- Experience with DevOps, e.g. CI/CD pipelines and containerized deployment
- Experience with data pipelining and workflow engines, e.g. Apache Airflow, Cadence, Beam, Spark
- Experience building microservices and web applications
- Experience with supporting data science/machine learning data pipelines
The estimated, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $154,000 - $210,000. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.