Research Associate, mRNA Downstream - 2421
What if you could repair broken genes? That is the question we ask ourselves at Editas Medicine. We’re focused on translating the power and potential of the CRISPR/Cas9 and CRISPR/Cpf1 (also known as Cas12a) genome editing systems into a robust pipeline of medicines for people living with serious diseases around the world. Our goal is to discover, develop, manufacture, and commercialize transformative, durable, precision genomic medicines for many diseases.
We’re looking for talented, dedicated, passionate people to join our team and help us pioneer this field and do big, bold things that have never been achieved before.
Are you full of hope, possibilities, and a belief that, working together, we can truly revolutionize the development of medicines to help patients around the world? If the answer is yes, then Editas Medicine is the place for you.
The Chemistry team in the Advanced Technologies Group is seeking a highly motivated biochemist for the development and production of a critical gene editing component, mRNA. The successful candidate will support internal in vivo programs by producing screening and production scale mRNA materials for research and preclinical use. This position will focus on the downstream portion of the mRNA process, so a clear understanding and practice of HPLC purification and method development as well as ultra-filtration (UF) and other desalting techniques are a must. There will be no direct cellular work at this site.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Assist in pDNA linearization, isolation, and analysis.
- Assist in IVT reaction to produce mRNA
- Purify mRNA as needed using automated or semiautomated a preparative HPLC system
- Desalt and concentrate final mRNA material using ultra-filtration (UF) or similar technique.
- Assist in sample preparation and analysis of final products and intermediates.
- Perform process development and optimization, including scale-up and integration of automation for high-throughput production.
- Coordinate with members of other teams, at multiple sites, and manage material requirements, priorities, and timelines. Adapt as needed to meet the needs of the most critical project.
- Perform instrument preventative maintenance and repairs.
- Maintain an electronic laboratory notebook and miscellaneous documentation.
- Maintain reagent inventory.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- Experience with HPLC purification and instrumentation
- Experience with ultra filtration and instrumentation
- Experience with enzymatic reactions such as in vitro transcription (IVT)
- Experience with running and interpreting gel electrophoresis for analysis of nucleic acids
- Experience with aseptic / RNase-free handling and operation
- Experience with laboratory automation a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs.
- Technical troubleshooting and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent time and project management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry or related discipline with 2+ years of relevant experience or Master’s degree with 0 to 2 years of relevant experience.
Editas provides a comprehensive array of benefits to all employees, including a Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO Medical Plan, a company-funded Health Savings Account, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life and Disability Insurance, Dependent Care Account, Tuition Reimbursement, 401(k) plan with company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, Wellness Programs, and a flexible Paid Time Off policy.