Research Associate, mRNA Upstream - 2420
What if you could repair broken genes? That is the question we ask ourselves at Editas Medicine. We’re focused on translating the power and potential of the CRISPR/Cas9 and CRISPR/Cpf1 (also known as Cas12a) genome editing systems into a robust pipeline of medicines for people living with serious diseases around the world. Our goal is to discover, develop, manufacture, and commercialize transformative, durable, precision genomic medicines for many diseases.
We’re looking for talented, dedicated, passionate people to join our team and help us pioneer this field and do big, bold things that have never been achieved before.
Are you full of hope, possibilities, and a belief that, working together, we can truly revolutionize the development of medicines to help patients around the world? If the answer is yes, then Editas Medicine is the place for you.
The Chemistry team in the Advanced Technologies Group is seeking a highly motivated molecular biologist/biochemist for the development and production of a critical gene editing component, mRNA. The successful candidate will support internal in vivo programs by producing screening and production-scale mRNA materials for research and preclinical use. This position will focus on the upstream portion of the mRNA process and involve analytical testing of intermediates and products, so a clear understanding and experience with in-vitro transcription and nucleic acid analytics are a must. There will be no direct cellular work at this site.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Perform pDNA linearization, isolation, and analysis.
- Perform IVT reactions to produce mRNA.
- Perform process development and optimization, including scale-up and integration of automation for high-throughput production.
- Analyze final products and intermediates.
- Assist in the purification of mRNA, as needed, using an automated or semi-automated preparative HPLC system
- Assist in the desalting and concentration of the final mRNA material using ultra-filtration (UF) or similar technique(s).
- Coordinate with members of other teams, at multiple sites, and manage material requirements, priorities, and timelines. Adapt as needed to meet the needs of the most critical project(s).
- Assist with instrument preventative maintenance and repairs.
- Maintain an electronic laboratory notebook and miscellaneous documentation.
- Maintain reagent inventory.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- Experience with enzymatic reactions such as in vitro transcription (IVT)
- Experience with nucleic acid analytics, including running gel and capillary electrophoresis and interpreting data.
- Experience with aseptic / RNase-free handling and operation
- Excellent time and project management.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Technical troubleshooting and organizational skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience with HPLC purification and instrumentation a plus
- Experience with ultra filtration and instrumentation a plus
- Experience with laboratory automation a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry or related discipline with 2+ years of relevant experience or Master’s degree with 0 to 2 years of relevant experience.
Editas provides a comprehensive array of benefits to all employees, including a Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO Medical Plan, a company-funded Health Savings Account, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life and Disability Insurance, Dependent Care Account, Tuition Reimbursement, 401(k) plan with company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, Wellness Programs, and a flexible Paid Time Off policy.