Associate Director/Director, Head of IT Infrastructure - 2373
What if you could repair broken genes? That is the question we ask ourselves at Editas Medicine. We’re focused on translating the power and potential of the CRISPR/Cas9 and CRISPR/Cas12a gene editing systems into a robust pipeline of medicines for people living with serious diseases around the world. Our goal is to discover, develop, manufacture, and commercialize transformative, durable, precision genomic medicines for many diseases. We’re looking for talented, dedicated, passionate people to join our team and help us pioneer this field and do big, bold things that have never been achieved before. Are you full of hope, possibilities, and a belief that, working together, we can truly revolutionize the development of medicines to help patients around the world? If the answer is yes, then Editas Medicine is the place for you.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
The Head of IT Infrastructure leadership role requires the successful candidate to be able to engage at a strategic and operational level, with occasional hands-on technology support. The role is a member of the Information Technology Leadership Team (ITLT), reporting to the Head of Information Technology.
The Head of IT Infrastructure provides both the strategic direction and operational management of the organization's technical infrastructure (including hardware, software, servers, databases, storage solutions, networks, and high-performance computing) in support of business needs. They are also tasked with developing long-term plans for how these resources should be used in the future and the strategic direction of technology infrastructure. The objective of this role is to collaborate with stakeholders, users and other IT colleagues to maintain a reliable computing environment, delivering quality processes, controls, and system support to Editas. The Head of IT Infrastructure is also responsible for ensuring the overall planning, execution, and success of projects related to building scalable, fault- tolerant, and redundant systems infrastructures. This requires strong business knowledge, technical knowledge, management skills, and a passion for understanding the current and future state of the company and the IT industry in general.
- Sets the mission, vision, and strategy of the Infrastructure function to maximize the success of business and IT enterprise initiatives.
- Design and implement short- and long-term strategic plans to make certain the IT infrastructure meets current and future needs.
- Overall planning, execution and successful delivery of all infrastructure projects.
- Manage and ensure optimal operation of all IT infrastructure equipment on a 24 x 7 basis.
- Manage and provide direction for the team in support of business operations.
- Ensure high availability, backup, and continuity of all IT infrastructure, continuously monitoring reliability, resiliency, and performance, and developing and executing projects as necessary to maintain IT operations.
- Lead initiatives and necessary upgrades, maintenance, and migrations for IT infrastructure.
- Develops and controls the annual Infrastructure budget to ensure that it's consistent with the overall strategic objectives of IT and the enterprise and is within plan. Drives a culture of continuous cost optimization.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for IT infrastructure.
- Establish best practices and policies for installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting.
- Ensure disaster recovery plans are in place for all key infrastructure components. Maintain and test to ensure solutions are effective.
- Continuously evaluates the business value of Infrastructure, including the use of metrics such as Key Performance Indicators, Outcome Driven Metrics and Objectives and Key Results.
- Develop and deploy methodologies for testing infrastructure performance and providing performance statistics and reports.
- Collaborates closely with the Head of Information Security to ensure Infrastructure contributes to, embraces, and applies security strategy.
- Collaborates with Head of End User Services and defines, develops, and manages a comprehensive and integrated IT Service Management (ITSM) landscape, based on best-practice processes, disciplines, and related toolsets.
- Collaborates with the Information Technology Leadership Team (ITLT) on the infrastructure portfolio and governance required to prioritize resources, including budget. Works with key stakeholders to measure and prioritize technical debt remediation.
- Research and make recommendations on products and services.
- Builds successful stakeholder relationships with other IT and business key stakeholders by developing a clear understanding of business needs, acting as a trusted advisor, and ensuring cost-effective delivery of infrastructure services to meet those needs.
- Develops and executes a strategy to improve awareness of the business value that the function provides, and continuously seeks to ensure alignment to stakeholder needs.
- Champions Infrastructure involvement in the organization's innovation efforts and encourages experimentation with innovative solutions to enable business opportunities.
- Participate in audits and assessments of the IT infrastructure
Knowledge, Skills & Capabilities:
Required Skills & Capabilities:
- Influencing and negotiation skills where resources required for success may not be in direct control of this role
- Excellent knowledge of current protocols and standards.
- Proven experience with troubleshooting principles, methodologies, and issue resolutions techniques.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Logical and efficient.
- Experience managing cross functional teams.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates technical competence and effectively delivers support in areas of expertise.
- Responsive to internal and external requests; provides high quality service and support.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with others and independently.
- Effectively manages projects, meeting necessary deadlines.
- Resolves problems quickly and effectively.
- To the extent permitted by applicable law, eligible candidates must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship or restriction, now and in the future.
- Excellence in delivery of hybrid-working to improve user experiences
- Budget planning and financial management
- Applying infrastructure capabilities to achieve regulatory or statutory compliance requirements.
- Third-party management, working closely with sourcing and vendor managers.
Recommended Skills & Capabilities:
- Deep understanding of current and emerging infrastructure technologies and practices, and how other enterprises are employing them
- Experience developing strategies to leverage teams that embrace business technologists, e.g. Informatics
- Establishing and improving working practices e.g., ITIL.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Solid technical knowledge of firewalls.
Specific experience required:
Vendors: AWS, Azure, Cisco, Microsoft
Technologies:Routing, Switching, Firewalls, collaboration tools, compliance suites, End-point management systems, remote backup technologies, DHCP, Active Directory, Email system administration
Hands-on skills: Required: basic understanding of Operational Change Management practices, working knowledge of Network Routing and Switching, Firewall Policy and ACL, Server and OS administration, leased line connectivity and telecoms vendor management. Recommended but not required: CompTIA Network+, ITIL v3, PMP, AWS- Practitioner, CCNA/CCIE, Azure Administrator, Six Sigma
Education & Relevant Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, information systems, business administration, related field, or equivalent work experience
- Ten or more years of experience in IT or business/life science
- Three or more years of leadership responsibilities, including strategy, budgeting, and staffing
Physical & Travel Requirements:
- Travel to other Editas sites and vendor locations, as required
Editas provides a comprehensive array of benefits to all employees, including a Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO Medical Plan, a company-funded Health Savings Account, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life and Disability Insurance, Dependent Care Account, Tuition Reimbursement, 401(k) plan with company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, Wellness Programs, and a flexible Paid Time Off policy.
Something looks off?