Intern, Process Chemistry
Neurodegenerative diseases are one of the largest medical challenges of our time. Denali Therapeutics is a biotechnology company dedicated to developing breakthrough therapies for neurodegenerative diseases through our deep commitment to degeneration biology and principles of translational medicine. Denali is founded on the collaboration of leading scientists, industry experts, and investors who share the vision that scientific discovery energetically applied to translational medicine is the key to delivering effective therapies to patients.
Denali Therapeutics has an exciting opportunity for a summer intern to work in the small molecule process chemistry group within our Technical Operations and Manufacturing group. During the 10–12 week internship, the candidate will work on an impactful synthesis project, as well as be exposed to the Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) side of pharmaceutical drug development. At the end of the program, the candidate will have the opportunity to present his/her work to colleagues within the organization. The ideal candidate has a strong passion for organic chemistry and enjoys working within a collaborative team setting.
- Design and set-up multi-step experiments to support efforts related to route-scouting and the design of safe, robust, and scalable chemical processes
- Investigate new chemistry in the areas of organic synthesis, catalysis, and elucidation of reaction mechanism
- Characterize experiments with analytical instruments (HPLC, NMR, MS) and interpret the scientific data.
- Build more experience with techniques associated with synthesis, purification, and characterization of organic compounds using analytical tools of the trade including NMR spectroscopy, HPLC, LCMS etc.
- Read the relevant literature and become adept with using the various searching tools such as SciFinder
- Accurately record data in an electronic notebook and be highly organized
- Communicate results and findings to the process chemistry team
- Pursuing degree in Chemistry, Chemical Biology, or Chemical Engineering (BS, MS, or PhD) with significant interest in organic chemistry
- Familiarity with basic laboratory skills such as reaction set-up techniques, aqueous workup procedures, purification techniques such as flash chromatography, recrystallization, and distillation, basic NMR and MS interpretation, and safe lab practices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Denali is committed to its core company value of unity by creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, basis of disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.
The expected wage for this position based on the South San Francisco California office location is $20.96 per hour for BA/BS and $25.87 per hour for MS. Paid holiday time off is based on Denali's designated holidays. Interns who live more than 50 miles away from the office are eligible for an additional housing stipend.
*This compensation and benefits information is based on Denali’s good faith estimate as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future.
- Start Date: Summer 2024
- Length of Assignment: 10 - 12 weeks
- Location: South San Francisco, CA
- Job Type: Paid Internship