Neurodegenerative diseases are one of the largest medical challenges of our time. Denali Therapeutics is a biotechnology company dedicated to developing breakthrough therapies for neurodegenerative diseases through our deep commitment to degeneration biology and principles of translational medicine. Denali is founded on the collaboration of leading scientists, industry experts, and investors who share the vision that scientific discovery energetically applied to translational medicine is the key to delivering effective therapies to patients.
We invite you to consider an opportunity with Denali to help achieve our goal of delivering meaningful therapeutics to patients.
The Patent Counsel will work closely with our dynamic and growing Legal team and help build and defend Denali’s IP portfolio.
Since our founding in 2015, we have built a pipeline of 15+ programs with 7 clinical-stage programs, and we need your help to achieve our goal of defeating degeneration. Between our Transport Vehicle (TV) platform for delivering drugs to the brain, our product portfolio that includes small molecules, antibodies, and other modalities, and the many collaborations we leverage, there are many rewarding opportunities for a patent attorney or agent to make a significant impact by protecting our inventions and ultimately helping patients suffering from these terrible diseases.
This role reports directly to the Vice President of Intellectual Property & Transactions.
- Creatively draft, file, and prosecute patent applications that protect Denali inventions and create lasting business value
- Partner with scientists and team leaders to understand the direction of early-stage neuroscience research and participate in experimental planning to generate data to support the IP strategy
- Develop and implement thoughtful and creative prosecution strategies for a global patent portfolio to build a strong yet cost-effective IP position for Denali
- Conduct patentability and freedom-to-operate searches, and analyze third party patent estates to identify risks and opportunities; communicate business-oriented advice regarding the results to Denali Leadership and project teams, including design solutions and risk mitigation strategies
- Partner with outside counsel to foster long-term relationships, and manage the relationships by prioritizing and focusing the work done externally, so that Denali achieves cost-effective, high quality legal results
- Support global research and development collaborations by assisting the Contracts team in reviewing, drafting, negotiating, and implementing agreements, and by assisting the Corporate Development team by supporting the business with new and existing collaboration agreements
- Contribute to the growing Legal team by identifying creative ways for the team to improve and develop new capabilities in order to achieve success in our mission
- 5+ years of experience in life sciences patent preparation and prosecution, including significant experience with small and/or large molecule therapeutics in the past 2 years
- Self-motivated and creative patent practitioner
- Experience with both domestic and international intellectual property laws, regulations, and processes relating to patents
- Ability to independently manage, with the assistance of outside counsel, global patent portfolios related to novel therapeutics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Naturally open, transparent, and thrives in teamwork environment
- Active registration in good standing to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and an active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- Ph.D. in a life sciences discipline
- Experience with license agreements and other transactional work
- Experience preparing and prosecuting both small and large molecule therapeutic patents
- Both law firm and in-house experience
Denali is committed to its core company value of unity by creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, basis of disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Salary Range: $243,000.00 to $280,333.00. Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience. Denali offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k, healthcare coverage, ESPP and a broad range of other benefits. Learn more at https://www.denalitherapeutics.com/careers
*This compensation and benefits information is based on Denali’s good faith estimate as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future.