Corporate Counsel (Employment)
Denali Therapeutics is dedicated to developing and delivering breakthrough therapies for patients with neurodegenerative and lysosomal storage diseases through our rigorous, data-driven approach to translational medicine and clinical development. We are a publicly-owned company, founded in 2015, and over the last decade we have built a broad and diversified portfolio with multiple programs in late-stage clinical development.
Denali is on the verge of expansion. Although we are headquartered in South San Francisco, California, we are expanding our offices in Salt Lake City, Utah and Zurich, Switzerland. We need a smart, proactive attorney to enable our growth in a legally sound way, combining a deep understanding of the letter of the law and a pragmatic approach to problem solving. Our company values of Grit, Growth, Trust, and Unity permeate everything we do, and we strive to do our best in supporting our colleagues and serving the patient community.
About the Opportunity
Denali Therapeutics is recruiting an experienced Corporate Counsel, reporting to the Senior Director, Corporate Counsel. We are seeking someone enthusiastic about employment-related counseling, but also willing to pitch in across the corporate group, particularly on matters of compliance, privacy, and corporate governance.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with senior HR and business leaders to provide legal advice and counsel on the full range of employment law matters in our California, Utah, and Switzerland offices. You will partner with the business on employment agreements, privacy, disability accommodations, leaves of absence, and compliance with other federal and state employment laws
- Support broad-based domestic and international equity compensation matters, including global equity incentive plans and employee stock purchase plan compliance, and support preparation of the proxy statement and annual shareholder meeting
- Provide legal guidance to Finance on Section 16 compliance, including all related Section 16 filings
- Collaborate with HR, Finance, and IT teams to develop and implement various corporate compliance strategies, including training employees on insider trading, managing pre-clearance/blackouts and 10b5-1 trading plans, and drafting data privacy policies
- Provide current information on legal matters in a proactive fashion, ensuring the company is up to date on new laws and legal developments
- Provide legal advice and support across the Corporate Legal function, including insurance, corporate governance, securities and diligence, compliance, ESG, and any potential litigation
- Manage relationships with outside counsel to ensure efficient and optimal outcomes for Denali’s legal matters
- Contribute to the Legal team’s ongoing efforts to create and optimize internal processes and legal templates
This role is based in South San Francisco, CA, and will require in-person presence at least two days per week.
- You have a J.D. and are admitted to a state bar, and spent a minimum of 5 years at a top tier law firm and/or in house focusing on employment or corporate law
- You are a creative, flexible team player who sees no task as too big or too small
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy, and a deep, abiding sense of compassion and integrity
- You are highly knowledgeable about black-letter employment law and at least one of the following areas: corporate law, securities, corporate governance, litigation, and privacy
- You have a growth mindset, with a willingness to learn new things, expand outside boundaries, and broaden areas of expertise
- You’re able to thrive efficiently in a fast-paced environment, managing a heavy workload at times and adapting quickly to change
- You enjoy working independently and, although you possess excellent judgment, you know when to seek guidance and collaboration
- You are willing to courageously and clearly identify risks and seek creative solutions
- You have a proven record of building trust and credibility through consistent and reliable partnership with business functions
- Prior life sciences experience is helpful but not required
Denali is committed to its core company value of unity by creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, basis of disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Salary Range: $233,000.00 to $275,000.00. Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience. Denali offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k, healthcare coverage, ESPP and a broad range of other benefits. Learn more at https://www.denalitherapeutics.com/careers
*This compensation and benefits information is based on Denali’s good faith estimate as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future.