Associate Director, Clinical Finance
Neurodegenerative diseases are one of the largest medical challenges of our time. Denali Therapeutics is a biotechnology company based in South San Francisco, California that is dedicated to defeating neurodegenerative diseases through rigorous therapeutic discovery and development. Denali is founded on the collaboration of leading scientists, industry experts, and investors who share the vision that scientific discovery energetically applied to translational medicine is the key to delivering effective therapies to patients.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Corporate Finance, this Clinical Finance position is accountable for management of financial data related to Denali’s ongoing and future clinical trials, including, but not limited to, leading the monthly vendor accrual process, building and maintaining clinical trial budgets and forecasts, managing and coordinating month-end clinical trial financial reporting activities, supporting ad-hoc auditing requests and partnering with Denali colleagues, especially finance and accounting. Must be proficient in building strong cross-functional relationships.
• Provide input to clinical development plans including clinical trial financial modeling
• Partner with Clinical Project Teams to create enrollment assumptions, clinical study budgets and clinical study forecasts to ensure financial estimate/spend harmonize with project timelines
• Track clinical trial accruals and forecasts related to CRO and service provider spend. Highlight impact of vendor change orders, study scope changes on the overall clinical budgets and help the teams identify trade-offs to stay on track to the budgets s
• Manage monthly clinical trial reporting activities including liaison with clinical operations and vendors to establish study enrollment, work completed to date, current and estimated budget spend, study budget projections for new studies, etc. Ability to manage CTA budgets
• Manage or support Quarterly Variance Analysis process for clinical study vendor contracts. Ability to analyze budget and forecast variances
• Participate in the preparation and presentation of internal reports to management and other various business end users
• Act as liaison between Finance and Clinical Operations teams for finance-related activities and as the clinical finance representative for project teams.
• Support quarterly external auditor reviewers and annual audits
• Support clinical trial vendor financial-related matter/issues including invoice issues
• Help manage and oversee Development wide contractor and consulting budgets
• Ability to provide input to continuously improve financial and business operations processes
• Assist in preparation of long-range planning, including internal and external cost benchmarking
• Build out and improve processes within the clinical finance function and lead implementation of clinical trials financials tracking system; identify key metrics (KPIs) related to clinical trial costs improve process efficiencies
• BS or BA, MBA or CPA a plus
• 5+ years in biotech/pharma clinical research industry; 3 years of clinical finance (business operations and management experience a plus)
• Strong understanding of clinical trial forecasting and budget modeling
• Strong understanding of the drug development process and the cross-functional responsibilities including clinical trial design, study start-up and execution, site management, safety reporting, data management, and biometrics.
• Good understanding of strategic outsourcing and vendors within the clinical landscape
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills to be able to engage with all levels both within Denali Therapeutics and entities and with our CRO and clinical service providers.
• Forward-thinking and creative with high ethical standards.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with drug development professionals.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Ability to lead and manage cross-functional initiatives from concept to completion.
Denali is committed to its core company value of unity by creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, basis of disability, or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
Salary Range: $171,000 to $216,333. Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience. Denali offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k, healthcare coverage, ESPP and a broad range of other benefits. Learn more at https://www.denalitherapeutics.com/careers
*This compensation and benefits information is based on Denali’s good faith estimate as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future.