Vice President, Global Medical Affairs
Neurodegenerative diseases are one of the largest medical challenges of our time. Denali Therapeutics is a biotechnology company based in South San Francisco, California that is dedicated to defeating neurodegenerative diseases through rigorous therapeutic discovery and development. Denali is founded on the collaboration of leading scientists, industry experts, and investors who share the vision that scientific discovery energetically applied to translational medicine is the key to delivering effective therapies to patients.
In anticipation of the Company’s growth plans, Denali Therapeutics is seeking a Vice President of Global Medical Affairs. This is a key leadership role that will shape the future direction and growth of Medical Affairs at Denali. The Vice President, Global Medical Affairs will oversee the successful development of medical strategy and execution of medical activities for investigational neuroscience and rare disease programs within the clinical development portfolio. The successful candidate will ensure appropriate processes, staff, and systems are in place to enable high quality medical evidence generation and medical communication according to industry standards and global regulations.
We are seeking a transcendent leader who has a stellar medical science background; is a collaborative self-starter who thrives in a matrixed environment; and has demonstrated leadership excellence in building a medical affairs organization and providing oversight for global medical affairs teams across the product lifecycle.
- The Vice President of Global Medical Affairs will continue to build and oversee a capable Global Medical Affairs organization in order to maximize the success of Denali’s advancing clinical portfolio
- Overall responsibility for Medical Affairs associated activities including medical and health economic evidence generation, strategic publication planning, medical and scientific advisory boards, educational programs, responding to requests for medical information, and field medical
- Oversee Medical Affairs teams’ contributions to strategic project plans, including the integrated product strategy, integrated evidence plan, global conference strategy, patient advocacy engagement plans, future launch planning, and other key program deliverables across the product lifecycle
- Responsible for the development and delivery of accurate and fair-balanced clinical and scientific information to healthcare professionals, both proactively and in response to requests for information, in accordance with promotional compliance and regulatory requirements in a global setting
- Build a Medical Information infrastructure to respond to external requests for information regarding investigational compounds
- Responsible for the successful dissemination of innovative clinical information to thought leaders, payers, and other key external stakeholders; foster medical and scientific information exchange with specific disease area communities
- Represent Denali science externally with the highest standards of evidentiary rigor and scientific credibility
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to ensure timely, accurate and compliant preparation and review of promotional and educational material
- Partner with Denali teams and leadership across the organization including, but not limited to, Discovery, Development, Regulatory, Commercial, Legal, and Investor/Corporate Relations functions
- Prepare and maintain departmental policies and SOPs to ensure compliant dissemination of medical information to and engagement with global medical audiences
- Establish Medical Affairs departmental goals, and identify and direct appropriate resources to ensure their success
- Participate in the development and management of departmental budget
- Ensure appropriate training of medical affairs personnel based in corporate offices in South San Francisco and Zurich, Switzerland, as well as field locations
- Hire and retain top talent
- Board Certified physician (MD, MBBS, DO) with 12-15+ years of medical affairs experience in the biopharmaceutical industry in both pre-launch and post-marketing settings
- A minimum of 8 years in Medical Affairs leadership positions including project and line management experience overseeing multidisciplinary medical affairs staff and vendors; prior experience in a Vice President/Head of Medical Affairs role highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to build, develop, and motivate teams with a track record of effective hiring, coaching, and mentoring of direct reports
- Expert proficiency in design methodology, conduct, analysis, and interpretation of randomized clinical trials and observational studies
- Track record of excellence in guiding teams to assimilate, synthesize and effectively communicate clinical data for varied audiences
- Strategic agility to flex to evolving business priorities, identify new strategic opportunities, and adapt short-term plans
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented entrepreneurial environment; willing to work hands-on and with a sense of urgency
- Strong customer focus
- Strong working knowledge of global medical affairs compliance requirements
- The position is located in South San Francisco, CA, and may require up to 20% of time traveling
Denali is committed to its core company value of unity by creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, basis of disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Salary Range: $345,000 to $390,000. Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience. Denali offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k, healthcare coverage, ESPP and a broad range of other benefits. Learn more at https://www.denalitherapeutics.com/careers
*This compensation and benefits information is based on Denali’s good faith estimate as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future.
Something looks off?