Principal Software Engineer, Fullstack
United States · Remote
Posted on Friday, July 7, 2023
Color is a health technology company that makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. We work with governments, public health institutions, employers, and national health initiatives around the world to provide the tools for preventive health and infectious disease management, including testing, vaccinations, and other services.
Apply to join Color and do the most meaningful work of your career. If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified but are up for the challenge - we want you to apply!
We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer to help us build, iterate and scale Color’s healthcare platform and products. Color’s engineering team creates and operates a diverse set of healthcare solutions – including testing and treatment for infectious diseases like HIV and other STIs, convenient at-home preventive care, comprehensive cancer prevention and screening solutions, and genetic research partnerships at scale.
This is a Principal-level full-stack position that will work with multiple teams to lead development of new products, improvements to our technical architecture, and iterate on our core abstractions. No background or expertise in biology or genetics is required.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A passion for using software and technology to help save lives, and reduce the risk of populations to a multitude of diseases. You want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- 10+ years of industry experience as a software engineer.
- A track record of making high-quality technical contributions.
- A thorough understanding of software architectures and modern web stacks and experience driving technical strategy and execution across a large engineering team.
- Experience acting as a role model and mentor to other engineers, and collaborating with senior IC leaders and managers to nurture the career growth of a world-class team.
- Effective communication skills, with a proven ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences within and outside the organization.
- A commitment to quality: you work hard to eliminate unnecessary code duplication or awkward workarounds, and evangelize rigorous engineering practices and discipline with code reviews, automated testing, logging, monitoring, alerting, etc.
- You’re productive in several items from our technology stack including Python, Django, AWS, SQL, REST APIs, React, HTML5, CSS3, and ES6+.
Nice to Have:
- Previous experience building healthcare technology, products or services.
Possible Projects to Contribute to:
- Architect and lead the technical implementation of new health programs. Past programs include: The All Of Us research program, an ambitious partnership with the NIH to deliver genetic testing results to at least a million people living in the United States to accelerate research that may improve everyone’s health; HIV and STI infrastructure and services for the public sector; Essential Care, a preventive health program for employers.
- Develop new platform capabilities that span our telehealth, testing and core platforms.
- Refactor long-standing data models to develop simpler abstractions that further accelerate development work.
What We Offer:
- 💰 Competitive salary
- ✨ Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📈 401k match
- 📱 Monthly phone and wifi stipend for employees
- ⌨️ One-time ergonomic stipend for your remote work set up
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy, paid holidays and company-wide recharge days
- 🍼 Equal paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- 🧬 Four complimentary clinical-grade genetic testing kits for you and your family
Base Salary Range: $220,000 - $300,000 a year
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: work experience, market data, skills, geographic location, and business need. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.
Color is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process.