Associate Director / Director, Alliances Management
bit.bio is an award-winning spinout from the University of Cambridge. Our breakthrough technology combines synthetic and stem cell biology for the precise, efficient and consistent reprogramming of human cells used in research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. At bit.bio, we are passionate about engineering human cells that will enable the medicine of the future. To do this we need talented and curious people who want to make an impact on the future of science and therapeutics.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Location: Boston, US or Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge, UK
Type: Full time, permanent
Salary: Competitive / Hours: 40 p/w
Hybrid role - 2-3 days on-site in Cambridge or Remote in Boston
Your role in our team:
We are looking to appoint a Associate Director/Director, Alliances Management, to join our Alliance Management Team. You should have a strong scientific and licensing background and be able to support our efforts in cell therapy and regenerative medicine. You will work with a team of scientists being a focal point in terms of key Pharma and Academic partnerships and enjoy a varied and rewarding role in establishing alliances within our portfolio as well as overseeing other business critical alliances that go beyond any single territory.
You will join an established and expanding operations team, will report directly to the Senior VP of Alliance Management, and liaise directly with external partners and the internal scientific function. The role will also involve close collaboration with our US teams, as well as internal and external legal and Intellectual Property (IP) counsels.
To be successful in this role you will have a proven ability to source, structure, negotiate and close different types of commercial & academic partnerships from discovery stage assets through commercialization stage. You are a proven manager with the ability to rapidly establish credibility, trust, and respect across the organization to operate as a true strategic thought partner across the business. You also need to be able to appropriately balance multiple priorities and work against tight timelines. Given the high visibility to Executive Leadership, this role presents excellent career advancement opportunities.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Externally, expand and leverage the ecosystem of academics, and industry network to secure the identification of the most attractive partnering prospects.
- Drive and coordinate the search, evaluation, and due diligence process to identify in or out license asset opportunities.
- Provide oversight for Alliance Management ensuring excellent relationship management with key external academic and commercial partnerships.
- Provide outstanding transaction skills through the entire deal making process to secure and implement attractive deals.
- Proactively monitor the external business environment and maintain a knowledge base of licensing transactions and other company activities.
- Work effectively with the cross functional team including R&D, Finance IP and Legal to drive successful licensing outcomes while identifying and managing risk.
- Lead high profile cross-functional teams and provide strong project management skills to ensure that key risks and opportunities are identified, captured, and presented in an unbiased way to senior management for decision making.
- Lead term sheet and contract negotiations when required.
- Lead with authenticity and sense of urgency that inspires the team to communicate openly and thrive together.
The above list is not exhaustive, and you will be required to undertake such responsibilities within the scope of the post.
- Have a BSc in Life Science (Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry) or equivalent experience; advanced degree (PhD/MBA) in a quantitative/scientific field is highly desirable
- Have highly sophisticated communication and influencing skills to effectively articulate scientific, commercial and financial concepts, especially when presenting to C-level, investors or Boards
- Are a proven individual contributor with the ability to rapidly establish credibility, trust and respect in order to operate as a true strategic thought partner across the organisation
- Are able to balance multiple priorities and and work against tight timelines
- Have the ability to navigate seamlessly across different company cultures and operating environments to achieve successful outcomes for partnerships
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead, engage, negotiate, build trust, resolve conflict and influence to drive effective decision making
With essential experience in…
- Alliance management, business development and/or program management gained within the biotech/pharma industry
- Experience of operationalising alliance partnerships on an international level with oversight of management and delivery
- Experience with either clinical drug development, regulatory approvals and/or commercialisation
- Facilitating cross-functional internal and external teams collaboration to deliver alliance partnerships
- Identifying opportunities to maximise revenue and collaborations from existing alliance partnerships in line with company portfolio
- Working proactively, both independently and collaboratively, within a dynamic team environment
- Experience within the cell therapy and regenerative medicine space
- Experience within a fast growing, scale up environment
More reasons to join us:
bit.bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
For information on how we will manage your data please see our Candidate Privacy Notice