Associate Director, Public Policy (Hybrid)
Reporting to the Senior Director of Reimbursement and Health Policy in Government Affairs (GA), this role is responsible for identifying, shaping, communicating and executing key aspects of the public policy agenda reflecting Otsuka’s policy priorities and establishing the company as a thought leader. The Associate Director position serves as one of the company’s primary contacts to identify, analyze and develop the company’s positions in conjunction with internal business units to shape federal policy. This role interacts with many external stakeholders in the landscape including coalitions and trade associations of which Otsuka is a part, consultants and other entities working with/for Otsuka which include law firms, and advocacy/stakeholder groups. This role is responsible for analysis of existing policy proposals, from a legislative and regulatory perspective. It includes the development of policy positions, reimbursement strategy, and both industry-wide and proprietary issues of high priority to Otsuka. Additionally, the role will help support the development of strategies that support both current and future portfolio.
This individual will spend time working remotely and at our shared touch down space in DC.
The Associate Director interacts with various individuals and teams internally, including but not limited to business unit leaders for all brand teams, market access, legal, compliance, communications, and patient advocacy. This position partners with key advocacy and coalition partners to meet the needs of government payers, serves as a developer of key Otsuka positions for coverage within Medicare/Medicaid and across other relevant policy topics.
- Monitors and analyzes proposed legislation and regulation to determine the effects on the industry; helps determine the most appropriate position for Otsuka; communicates those positions to federal and state teams as well as the relevant business units, trade associations and other external partners in coordination with Senior Director of Reimbursement and Health Policy and other senior staff; develops and implements strategies to achieve favorable results
- Assists in the development and execution of strategies pertaining to Federal and state policy for inline and future product portfolio
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on development of strategy and tactical planning across brands to help shape state policy priorities
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts across key agencies, trade associations and other relevant other key policy opinion leaders to ensure accounting of Otsuka’s interests in important legislative environments
- Helps raise profile of Otsuka within various coalitions and stakeholder communities, including advocacy, political, and trade associations
- Responsible for the development of briefing materials, relative to the federal and state policy/legislative jurisdiction, for Otsuka’s leadership and other senior executives for Congressional, Administrative, and trade association meetings/events
Knowledge/ Experience and Skills:
Education, Behavioral Competencies and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required. JD, MBA, MPP or other Masters-level degree desirable
- Minimum 7-10 years of pharmaceutical experience in a healthcare policy, reimbursement or payer experience (CMS, health plan, PBM), or related healthcare policy consulting, law or financial/actuarial firm experience
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of healthcare reimbursement environment including coverage, coding application process, payment, as well as how to develop, implement and manage reimbursement strategies
- Advanced knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, Marketplace, and Commercial programs and payer policies, reimbursement processes, and reimbursement coding inclusive of strategy development required.
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the knowledge of source data with the ability to research complex policy issues with the ability to perform qualitative and lead quantitative analyses
- Demonstrated experience working with federal healthcare programs, commercial payers/providers, and managed care organizations
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven and fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical and business skills; with the ability to communicate effectively across key internal and external teams
- Demonstrated ability to process complex information and summarize it concisely in writing and/or verbally in a professional manner and in a time sensitive environment as required
- Willing to travel in the US up to 30%
Accountability for Results - Stay focused on key strategic objectives, be accountable for high standards of performance, and take an active role in leading change.
Strategic Thinking & Problem Solving - Make decisions considering the long-term impact to customers, patients, employees, and the business.
Patient & Customer Centricity - Maintain an ongoing focus on the needs of our customers and/or key stakeholders.
Impactful Communication - Communicate with logic, clarity, and respect. Influence at all levels to achieve the best results for Otsuka.
Respectful Collaboration - Seek and value others’ perspectives and strive for diverse partnerships to enhance work toward common goals.
Empowered Development - Play an active role in professional development as a business imperative.
Annual Salary :Minimum $155,838.00 - Maximum $232,990.00, plus annual incentive: The range shown represents a typical pay range or starting salary for candidates hired to perform the work. Other elements may be used to determine actual salary such as the candidate’s job experience, specific skills, and comparison to internal incumbents currently in role. This information is provided to applicants in accordance with states and local laws.
Company benefits: comprehensive medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage, company provided Basic Life, AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability insurance, tuition reimbursement, a 401(k) match, PTO allotment each calendar year, paid holidays, and paid leave programs as well as other company provided benefits.
Come discover more about Otsuka and our benefit offerings; https://www.otsuka-us.com/careers-join-otsuka.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be given consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national origin, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Statement Regarding Job Recruiting Fraud Scams
At Otsuka we take security and protection of your personal information very seriously. Please be aware individuals may approach you and falsely present themselves as our employees or representatives. They may use this false pretense to try to gain access to your personal information or acquire money from you by offering fictitious employment opportunities purportedly on our behalf.
Please understand, Otsuka will never ask for financial information of any kind or for payment of money during the job application process. We do not require any financial, credit card or bank account information and/or any payment of any kind to be considered for employment. We will also not offer you money to buy equipment, software, or for any other purpose during the job application process. If you are being asked to pay or offered money for equipment fees or some other application processing fee, even if claimed you will be reimbursed, this is not Otsuka. These claims are fraudulent and you are strongly advised to exercise caution when you receive such an offer of employment.
Otsuka will also never ask you to download a third-party application in order to communicate about a legitimate job opportunity. Scammers may also send offers or claims from a fake email address or from Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc, and not from an official Otsuka email address. Please take extra caution while examining such an email address, as the scammers may misspell an official Otsuka email address and use a slightly modified version duplicating letters.
To ensure that you are communicating about a legitimate job opportunity at Otsuka, please only deal directly with Otsuka through its official Otsuka Career website https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External.
Otsuka will not be held liable or responsible for any claims, losses, damages or expenses resulting from job recruiting scams. If you suspect a position is fraudulent, please contact Otsuka’s call center at: 800-363-5670. If you believe you are the victim of fraud resulting from a job recruiting scam, please contact the FBI through the Internet Crime Complaint Center at: https://www.ic3.gov, or your local authorities.