Director, Medical Communications - Job ID: 1143
Marketing & Communications
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2023
The Director of Medical Communications will have responsibility to lead and evolve the successful development and implementation of scientific and medical communications across the Ascendis Pharma portfolio globally, from the pre-launch phase through the product’s lifecycle. The Director will manage a successful team of writers and collaborate with high-level cross-functional partners, including Commercial, Clinical Development, Corporate, Legal, Regulatory, and Corporate Oversight Committees to deliver effective scientific and medical communications.
- Serve as key member of the Scientific Affairs organization, within Medical Affairs, with oversight in developing and executing publication tactics, digital amplification strategies, and patient lay summaries across therapies.
- Lead activities for all scientific and medical communications across the development portfolio
- Develop and evolve strategy of fully integrated Publication Plans for each product, including formal literature review, gap analysis, and timing of publication deliverables
- Drive strategy and scientific content development for scientific meetings, including execution of congress deliverables, post publication digital communications, and collaborations with journals and societies to maximize the awareness of Ascendis publications.
- Lead generation of, abstracts, manuscripts, posters, and assist in the development of slide decks and clinical/scientific FAQs
- Serve as an ambassador for Ascendis in relationships with external experts, researchers, presenters, and vendors
- Develop publication planning strategy meeting at least yearly, and provide quarterly updates to senior leadership.
- Lead the development of digital communication channels to amplify our scientific presence with the use of podcasts, webcasts, Medical Affairs Website, etc.
- Participate as a member of the Grants Review Committee
- Ensure alignment with key stakeholders such Legal/Compliance, Regulatory, Corporate, and Medical
- Build on strengths and lead Medical Communications Team, including managing Medical Writers, Assoc Dir Medical Affairs, Project Manager, Publication Team leads, and consultants/vendors as needed. Responsible for recruitment and retention of key talent in the team
- Present Medical Communications strategies and tactical updates to executive teams, ensuring plans are aligned and approved by corporate oversight committees
- Create and maintain budget for group functions, working closely with EMS Operations and Finance
- Demonstrate the ability to become a subject matter expert to engage internal and external stakeholders in peer-to-peer discussions on relevant data and topics relating to Ascendis’ therapeutic areas.
- Contribute to the develop of clear and compelling messaging by updating Scientific Communication Platforms and Lexicons as relevant to the therapeutic areas that will resonate with key audiences for cross-functional needs, including scientific engagement with internal and external authors
- Advanced degree (e.g., PhD, PharmD, MD) in a scientific discipline required.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical market, in both small and large companies including supervisory experience. Medical Communication Agency experience can be considered.
- Experience in rare disease, endocrinology and/or growth hormone market preferred, but not required.
- Experience with drug-device combination products preferred, but not required.
- An understanding of the pharmaceutical commercialization process and knowledge of the regulatory and legal guidelines affecting promotion of prescription products.
- Demonstrated expertise in writing and presenting on scientific and clinical data
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational, time management, and project planning skills with strong ability for self-direction.
- Ability to work in teams and interface in a dynamic environment across corporate functions.
- Understand US regulatory landscape and apply expertise to development of scientific resources.
- Prior experience of successfully managing consultants and vendors.
- Strong computer and database skills, particularly with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time domestically and internationally.
- High proficiency in the latest Good Publication Practice guidelines.
- New hires based in the US will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement, subject to applicable law.
- Salary range: $235-242K/year
- Medical insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid maternity leave
- Paid paternity leave
- Commuter benefits
- Disability insurance
See more open positions at Ascendis Pharma
Something looks off?