Director, Science (Prospect)
To power critical decisions in healthcare with data science-driven technology.
Welcome to Aetion! Since our debut in 2013, we have grown into one of the country’s leading science-driven technology companies using real-world data generating real-world evidence to provide innovative healthcare solutions.
We achieve this with our Aetion Evidence Platform, a software platform used to evaluate the safety, effectiveness and value of medications, delivering better outcomes to patients, medical professionals and clients. We’ve partnered with top biopharma companies and are backed by leading venture capital firms to help increase our medical research and expand our product line.
To continue our mission to transform healthcare, we’re assembling a team of talented individuals who know how to work collaboratively and authentically, to innovate and think transformation, not status quo.
If that’s you, we’d love to hear from you.
As a science-driven healthcare analytics company, Aetion is looking for an experienced professional for a Director of Science opportunity to strengthen our real-world data research team. The Director will be an active leader in the organization. This individual will engage with scientists and other researchers both internally and at customer organizations to drive the adoption of and customers’ success with the Aetion software platform. S/he will work cross-functionally within the company to identify and solve business issues, encapsulate scientific methods within Aetion products, and help to build Aetion’s best practices. This individual will also lead scientific studies (descriptive, comparative effectiveness, adherence and others) to help our customers create impactful evidence for themselves and participate in high-value, multi-party engagements.
The following duties include, but are not limited to:
- Core member of the scientific leadership team responsible for determining client strategy while delivering results in a timely and high quality environment
- Provide innovative statistical and methodological approaches to address client needs and implement detailed scientific protocols for customers
- Partner and collaborate with other Aetion functional areas engaging directly with potential and current clients to introduce them to Aetion platform and scientific services, develop proposals for new work, and design other solutions responsive to customer needs and questions
- Serve as the Principal Investigator (PI) for projects accountable for the overall management; including profitability, timeliness, quality and client value, removing obstacles and managing risks for successful delivery
- Develop a deep understanding of the Aetion platform and contribute to shared knowledge, enhancement, and QA/validation efforts of the platform
- Design, create, and deliver use-case-driven demonstrations, pilots, and trainings on the platform to help teach and mentor customers on the use of the Aetion platform in their organization
- Develop scientific dissemination documents (e.g. study report, abstract, manuscripts, etc…) based on study results
- Manage the allotment of multiple resources and projects concurrently to ensure successful completion of projects
- Mentor junior colleagues on meeting their yearly goals and professional development
- Proactively suggest innovative solutions based on problem descriptions that optimize outcomes and balance resource constraints and cost
- Align to the overall business strategy when driving the direction of the team, projects, and processes
- Bring visibility to Aetion by being active in thought leadership via white papers, industry conferences and/or article publications
- PhD (or MS with equivalent experience) in a quantitative discipline such as epidemiology, biostatistics, health services research, or health economics
- 6+ years relevant work experience in epidemiology or health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) delivering products or services to life science partners and/or payer organizations
- A minimum of 3 years of direct managerial or supervisory experience
- Able to design studies and perform advanced analytical work in surveillance, detection, and prevention of diseases; HEOR analyses; biostatistics; longitudinal data analyses including descriptive, comparative effectiveness, adherence and others, or other expert quantitative areas pertinent to healthcare
- Ability to think strategically and 'big picture', to formulate appropriate solutions to solve client business needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and good at developing relationships across diverse teams (including statistical, technical, and marketing resources)
- Proven experience managing and delivering a wide variety of analytic solutions to internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of statistical programming language (e.g. SAS, R, STATA)
- Has a deep conceptual understanding of epidemiological methods and study design
- Experience working with multiple databases (Claims, EMR, US and non-US)
- Travel will be required (up to 25%) including working on-site with customer
- Strong ability to engage with customers in-person, on the phone, and in writing
- Highly motivated, collaborative, and innovative
- Solid planning, priority setting, and project management skills with experience managing multiple projects and resources concurrently
- Strong experience in cross-functional teams and decision making
- Strong ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Demonstrate superior leadership to the broader business and internal team
- An ability to convey complex results in an easy to understand, thematic manner
- Experience managing teams in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills
- Lead at all levels – Aetion is a diverse workforce of scientific thought leaders and technological innovators coming together with a vision to dramatically improve the Healthcare industry. Aetion supports and maintains a presence in organizations such as ISPOR, ISPE, ASHP, and HIMSS
- Located in three cities — We have offices located in Midtown Manhattan near Penn Station, Boston's financial district, and Los Angeles. All locations are accessible by various forms of public transportation.
- Social and energetic offices – with a modern layout, and a giant kitchen and eating/social area. We have an open floor plan with an abundance of conference rooms, designed for impromptu collaboration, company gatherings, and industry meetups and events.
- Great perks – We offer competitive salaries, top-of-the-line benefits, company ownership stock options, 4% 401(k) match, and unlimited PTO
- Awards – Aetion is the recipient of numerous prestigious awards:
- Aetion was listed among Top 10 employers on Fast Company’s 100 Best Workplaces for Innovators list
- CB Insights Digital Health 150 showcases Aetion’s work advancing global RWE among some of the most promising private digital health companies in the world
- Databricks Data Team Award recognizes Aetion’s platform analyzing COVID-19 data.
- Parity.org’s 2020 Best Companies for Women to Advance highlights Aetion’s efforts and commitment to close the gender gap in leadership!
Aetion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Aetion is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.